Camera-controlled intersections have waiting list

July 4, 2010 at 2:04 a.m.

Q: Camera-controlled intersections do a better job of controlling traffic than the buried pressure-plate system of years past. But why is there not a camera controlled traffic light at Main Street and Red River?

A: Yes, the traffic lights controlled by cameras do a better job of traffic control, plus they do not get torn up every time a street is repaved or repaired.

A camera-controlled intersection costs about $250,000 to install. There are enough funds for one new intersection a year and the Navarro/Crestwood intersection is scheduled for this year's budget.

We typically select the intersection based on traffic counts so there are busier intersections ahead of the Main/Red River intersection. With new schools scheduled to open in the fall, some of those intersections will probably bump other intersections lower down the list.

I should add that the Red River/Main Street intersection will require special underground bores to go across Main, so that will add even more costs to that project. To sum it up, the Red River and Main intersection is on the traffic signal replacement list but it will be a while before it gets camera controlled traffic lights.

Q: Who mows the grass between the sidewalk and the street, the grass that grows on a sidewalk or in the street, and the grass in bar ditches or drainage ditches?

A: The homeowner or owner of a parcel of land in Victoria is responsible for mowing the grass between the sidewalk and the street, and must cut any grass that grows on the sidewalk or street adjacent to the property. The homeowner with a drainage ditch or bar ditch in front of their property is responsible for cutting the grass in that ditch.

Section 10-41 of the city code states it is unlawful for any owner of any lot or parcel of land to permit weeds or grass to grow to a height greater than 12 inches upon said premises. It is also unlawful for the owner of any lot or parcel of land or portion thereof, to permit weeds, grass or any plant to grow in, upon or across any sidewalk or street adjacent to the lot or property. For more information, contact Parks and Recreation at 361-485-3200 or send them an email at

Q: Does the city have a newsletter that is sent to residents?

A: Yes, but it is an electronic newsletter called "In Touch." This monthly newsletter is filled with recent news, photographs and stories about the city, including volunteer opportunities, recycling tips, park events, library programs and even answers about the city code.

You can view a sample of the newsletter on the city home page at and in the upper right hand corner, click on the link to "See a sample of In Touch." If you like what you see, you can sign up to receive In Touch via e-mail by clicking the "join" box. If you have any questions about In Touch, contact the communications office at 485-3110 or send an e-mail to

Q: I missed the first "Movies under the Stars" series. When is the next movie?

A: More than 300 people attend the first night and it proved to be an evening of family-oriented fun. FOX and NBC are teaming up with the Victoria Parks and Recreation for free "Movies under the Stars" four times this summer and one showing in September. Movies begin at sundown and usually end around 10:30 p.m.

An inflatable 30-foot screen, sponsored by Speedy Stop, is used to show family-friendly movies. There are door prizes and snack and refreshment vendors. "Movies under the Stars" are held at the Special Event Center in Riverside Park on the last Saturday of the month. Remaining dates are July 31 and Aug. 28. A special "Movies under the Stars" showing on Sept. 25 will be held at Ethel Lee Tracy Park. For more information, contact Parks and Recreation at 485-3200 or send them an e-mail at

Send your questions and comments for any city department or activity to City of Victoria, Public Information Office, P.O. Box 1758, Victoria, TX 77902, or



Powered By AffectDigitalMedia