City corner column: City does not trim trees on private property

July 25, 2010 at 2:25 a.m.

By O.C. Garza

Will the city trim my trees? If so, will they haul off all the tree limbs?

No, the city does not trim trees on private property. Keep in mind you should never use a ladder to trim your trees - that is very dangerous - and that trees are expensive to replace so you do not want to damage them.

So if you cannot safely trim your trees, I would recommend you hire a tree trimming company to do the work, especially if your tree is anywhere close to power lines or other above-ground utility lines.

The tree trimming company you hire is required to haul the tree cuttings to the landfill. If you or the tree trimming company has any questions, call our Solid Waste office at 361-485-3220.

Now that we are in hurricane season, is there a way I can receive emergency notifications from the city on my cell phone?

Yes. Many residents are no longer using land lines for telephone service and registering your cell phone could be your only link to emergency information about hurricanes, other weather emergencies, chemical hazards and many other dangerous situations that can develop almost instantly. Registering your cell phone, an unlisted phone number or even a business phone number to receive emergency notifications only takes a few seconds, and it can be done online or over the phone.

To register a phone number online, browse to the city web site at and click on the link to "Emergency Management." On the home page of the City/County Office of Emergency Management is a link to Emergency Notification Registration - Global Connect. Just fill in the blanks and your number will be registered.

If you want to register your phone number over the phone, call 2-1-1 and answer the questions to register your phone number. Incidentally registered phone numbers will be called only during emergency events.

What is VIN etching?

Every vehicle is equipped with a Vehicle Identification Number plate on the dash board and often there are other plates attached to the vehicle. These plates can be replaced with a new plate by thieves. By etching all the windows on a vehicle with the VIN, the thief then has to replace and dispose of marked glass. Disposing of over 100 pounds of marked glass is a thief's worst nightmare. The thief sees the etching and then moves to an easier vehicle.

Etching may also increase the resale value of your vehicle. In some instances, VIN etching will entitle you to a reduction on your insurance (check with your insurance agent). For more information about VIN etching, contact the Victoria Police Crime Prevention Unit at 361-485-3808.

Can I build a privacy fence using plywood?

No, fences of plywood and corrugated steel sheets are not allowed in the city. For the latest online "Fencing Guide" for residential homeowners, browse to the city web site at and click on the Development Services link, or you can call them at 361-485-3320.

Does the city recycle used cooking oil?

Yes we do. Used cooking oil can be recycled at the Huvar Recycle Center.

For more detailed information about recyclable items, browse to the city web site at and click on the link to Environmental Services and then click on the Recycling Location link. At the top of the page is a "What you can recycle" link.

Send your questions and comments for any city department or activity to City of Victoria, Public Information Office, P.O. Box 1758, Victoria, TX 77902, or



Powered By AffectDigitalMedia