Jackson County commissioners search for bridges in need of repair

March 22, 2010 at 5 p.m.
Updated March 21, 2010 at 10:22 p.m.

EDNA - To take advantage of a state program, Jackson County commissioners are searching for bridges in need of repair.

The Texas Department of Transportation program offers to pay 90 percent of the cost of a new bridge. The remaining 10 percent would come from county funds already spent to repair other county bridges.

"We've aggressively used this program," said Judge Harrison Stafford, noting that at least five bridges in the county were rebuilt through the program. "Every time we've had bridges that came up for it, we went after it."

The county has one bridge on County Road 312 that qualifies for the program, Stafford said, and it would cost roughly $475,000 to repair.

The repairs would begin in about two years. If the county decides to rebuild the structure it would be in the 2012 budget year, Stafford said.



Powered By AffectDigitalMedia