Mother says junior high daughter assaulted on campus

Sonny Long

May 25, 2010 at 12:25 a.m.
Updated May 26, 2010 at 12:26 a.m.

Autumn Campbell

Autumn Campbell

HALLETTSVILLE - Autumn Campbell believes her daughter was assaulted on the Hallettsville Junior High School campus, and she wants something done about it.

Campbell says her daughter was choked and thrown down by a male student "three times her size" on Tuesday, May 4.

Campbell said her seventh-grade daughter, Taylor Campbell, told her what happened.

"My daughter is 5 feet 2 inches tall, 108 pounds," Campbell said. "This boy grabbed her by the throat for 15 or 20 seconds, lifted her up and threw her."

Campbell is dissatisfied with what she considers inaction on part of principal Sophie Teltschik.

"From what I was told, he claimed he pushed her. The principal gave them both two-day lunch suspensions," Campbell said. "I don't understand that at all."

Lunch detention includes having to help serve meals and clean up the dining area and not eating with the other students, Campbell said.

"I believe he should have gotten ISS (inner school suspension)," Campbell said. "I would like to have seen that done in the first place. It's a shame it has come to this."

What it has come to is the filing of a complaint with the Hallettsville Police Department.

Hallettsville Police Chief Randal Schlauch said the case is under active investigation.

"The police department is still investigating the case to determine the facts. We have received all the documents from the school and have identified all the subjects that were present during the alleged offense," said Schlauch. "We will be interviewing all subjects that were present before being able to determine if an offense occurred and the class of this offense."

Campbell said her daughter also related to her what led up to the incident.

"She admits that she and some friends were playing a game where they spit through the cracks of the picnic table, trying not to get spit on the table," Campbell said.

Campbell said her daughter told her the boy walked over to the table and started teasing her and the other girls there. He put his hand down on a wet spot on the table and claimed Taylor spit on him.

That's when the boy attacked her daughter, Campbell said. The daughter went immediately to the principal's office with two of her friends after the incident, Campbell said.

Campbell, a warehouse supervisor, said Teltschik never interviewed the other girls before handing down disciplinary action.

Since the incident, her daughter has been teased by the boy and his friends, Campbell said.

"It's been three weeks and they are still calling her 'choke slam' and laughing at her," Campbell said.

The mother is going through the grievance policy in place in the school district. Her appeal before Teltschik is scheduled for Wednesday afternoon. If she continues to be dissatisfied, Campbell can then appeal to superintendent Jo Ann Bludau.

Teltschik declined to comment because of confidentiality issues.

"I just want people to be aware that this kind of thing happens all the time. I've heard it from other parents," Campbell said. "It's going to get even more out of control if these kids aren't punished."



Powered By AffectDigitalMedia