Contractors seek emergency operations center contract
Nov. 23, 2010 at 5:23 a.m.
Six contractors from Victoria to Houston are vying for a chance to build Victoria County's emergency operations center.
They submitted bids Tuesday to the commissioners court, which will consider awarding a contract within the next couple weeks.
"As you have seen, there is a relatively wide variation in the bids," County Judge Don Pozzi said.
Jeb Lacey, the county's emergency management coordinator, said time will be needed for staff and the county's architectural design firm to review the information. That includes the base bids and 17 alternates.
The base bids ranged from a low of $1.474 million submitted by A&A Constructors Inc. of Victoria to a high of $2.187 submitted by Clegg Services Inc. of Victoria.
County officials had discussed earlier this year spending $1.455 million on the center. It would be funded with a $1 million grant from the U.S. Department of Homeland Security and a $455,000 grant from the Coastal Impact Assistance Program.
Lacey declined to comment on the base bids Tuesday. "We will have to look at the alternates before we know exactly where we stand."
Joyce Dean, the county's director of Administrative Services, has said the project would involve converting the 14,000-square-foot basement of the courthouse annex at 205 N. Bridge St. into a brain center capable of handling all types of disasters.
It would replace the current emergency operations center at 700 Main Center, which has suffered foundation failure.
City officials don't think it could withstand a Category 3 hurricane, which has winds of at least 111 mph. The new facility would be designed to withstand sustained Category 5 winds of 170 mph.