Rottweiler bites off-duty police officer

Jennifer Lee Preyss By Jennifer Lee Preyss

Oct. 11, 2010 at 5:11 a.m.

An off-duty Victoria Police Department detective was sent to the hospital Saturday night after a Rottweiler bit him in the leg.

John Luna, a detective with Victoria's Crimestoppers unit, said Sunday that this is the second time the Rottweiler attacked him in two years, but this time the bite wound was severe.

"The last time he bit me, two years ago, he got me on the hip, and it was a scratch, but this time he took a piece of meat from my thigh," Luna said.

The dog's owner, Carrie McKittrick, said the dog, Max, who is in quarantine for 10 days, will not return home.

"You don't keep dogs that attack humans," she said.

She also plans to pay Luna's medical bills.

Luna, an avid jogger, said he was jogging near his home Saturday, and when he came to Timothy Street at 6 p.m., a neighbor told him the Rottweiler was loose.

Since Luna's first attack, the dog has been contained in the yard, but on Saturday, the dog was roaming free in the yard with no supervision.

Luna said he cautiously slowed to a walk and saw the dog in the owner's yard with two other smaller dogs. One of the smaller dogs barked at Luna, which sent the Rottweiler charging down the street, he said.

Animal control, who captured the dog, will work with the McKittricks to determine whether it will be put to sleep.

Luna's wife, Sonya, was called the scene to drive him to Citizens Medical Center. Luna called the sheriff's department and requested a deputy meet him there to file a report.

In addition to Luna's emergency care Saturday night, his doctor requested he visit with a surgeon to ensure the tissue near the wound is healing correctly.

McKittrick said she was surprised by how the family dog acted.

"I'm just kind of taken back by this dog," she said. "My little ones are 8 and 10 and are in love with him. They've grown up with him."

On Saturday, the McKittricks were cleaning and moving things into the garage and decided to let Max roam around, she said.

That's when Max charged, she said.

"I didn't see it happen, but I heard him," she said.

McKittrick, a nurse, and her husband and two children moved to the area outside Victoria about three years ago, she said.

Neighbors immediately had worries about Max, who the family has had for eight years, so the McKittricks paid $3,000 to have a fence built, she said.

The family will not be bringing Max back home from quarantine, she said.

"It just can't be," said McKittrick, whose 10-year-old son Chandler is upset about the situation. "If he did come back, we'd have to have beware of dog signs. I feel we have to do the right thing."



Powered By AffectDigitalMedia