All televisions accepted on E-Waste days

Sept. 12, 2010 at 4:12 a.m.

Will the City take old console television sets at E-Waste Day?

Yes. In my last column I said we would not take console television sets, but our Environmental Services Department says that we can take all television sets for recycling, including console televisions. So, if you have any TV or other non-working or obsolete electronic equipment, bring it to E-Waste days Sept. 17-18 at the Community Center.

We will also take computers, laptops, cell phones, monitors, servers, cameras, projectors, hard drives, cables, VCR/DVD players, desktop printers, keyboards, mouse, batteries and communication equipment.

E-Waste Day is free of charge and will be held at the Community Center from 8 a.m.-5 p.m. on Friday, Sept. 17 and from 8 a.m.-noon on Saturday, Sept. 18. Please note that businesses and governments must apply online before Sept. 14 to ensure we have enough capacity for all the e-waste.

For more information or to register your business online, browse to the City website at

My neighbor's grass is about two feet high. Can I report this to your Code Enforcement Department online?

Yes. The easiest way to report any city code violation is to do it through the city's web site at Start by browsing to the home page. Underneath the top banner is a red command bar with several of our most popular links. Click on the "customer service request" link and it will take you to an electronic form page. Fill out the required fields and put as much information as you can about your request.

Not only can you report a code violation online, you can report potholes, your garbage not picked up, junk vehicles, sidewalk repairs and many other requests. All requests are forwarded to the proper department and a case is opened on each request.

I need to do some plumbing work in my home. Do I need a city permit?

Most minor plumbing work does not require a permit. Permits are not required for repair or replacement of faucets, valve traps, or supplies; replacement of plumbing fixtures where no change of rough-in location is involved; or repairs of water, sewer and drain lines, provided the entire system is not replaced.

If you have a larger project that might need a construction permit, check with our Development Center at 361-485-3320.

How do I protect my personal information from identity theft?

Identity theft is a problem across the country. The Crime Prevention Unit of the Victoria Police Department has a lot of good information online about protecting yourself from identity theft.

A lot of their suggestions are common sense:

n Locking personal information in a filing cabinet, safe or bank safety deposit box

n Depositing outgoing mail in post office collection boxes or at your local post office rather than in an unsecured mailbox

n Promptly removing mail from your mailbox

n Tearing or shredding your charge receipts, copies of credit applications, insurance forms, physician statements, checks and bank statements, expired charge cards that you're discarding, and credit offers you get in the mail.

The Crime Prevention web site also has very useful links for a full list of "opt-out" contacts including telephone, mail and spam e-mail "opt-out" numbers, and contact information for all three credit bureaus.

For more information, contact the Crime Prevention Office at 361-485-3808. To see the Crime Prevention Unit web page on identity theft protection, browse to their web site at and click on "Police" then "Crime Prevention Unit." From there, click to the "Education Classes" and then "Identity Theft Protection."

Send your questions and comments for any city department or activity to City of Victoria, Public Information Office, P.O. Box 1758, Victoria, TX 77902, or



Powered By AdvocateDigitalMedia