City corner column: City continues to spray for mosquitoes but not on school property

Sept. 26, 2010 at 4:26 a.m.

By O.C. Garza

Is the city still spraying for mosquitoes? Does the city spray for mosquitoes on Victoria school district property?

Yes, we began spraying several weeks ago and will continue to spray until the mosquito population is under control. Remember that it takes about three days to cover the entire city, and we cannot spray when the wind blows more than 10 miles per hour.

On the second question, no, even though the schools are public property, the city does not spray for mosquitoes on VISD school property. VISD uses a private company for mosquito control that follows the requirements and guidelines for spraying on school properties.

Does the city have a Facebook page?

Yes. The city has gone live with a Facebook page that will be used for instant online communication of emergency information, city government news, recycling events and other important information. One of the great features about posting on the social media sites is that you can receive this information on your cell phone if you have the right application. This can be very useful during emergencies. I should add that several city departments are now using Facebook for online communications including the library, the office of emergency management, parks and recreation, and police. To find all the city Facebook pages, click to the city web site at and on the right side of the homepage click on the link to "Follow us on Facebook."

How can I view the video by the Victoria Economic Development Corp. that explains how they got Caterpillar to select Victoria for their new plant?

The VEDC video is actually a two-part program. The first part is an interview with Jim Dugan of Caterpillar and the second part explains the steps VEDC took to get Caterpillar to select Victoria for the new plant. You can view the program in two ways. To watch it online browse to (the web site for the city television channel). It is the featured video and will play automatically when you visit that site.

You can also watch the program on Vtv15, which is channel 15 on the Suddenlink cable system. At this time Vtv15 is only available via Suddenlink Cable and not via satellite or "over the air." To find the times the program airs on Vtv15, visit the city Web site at, scroll down to the bottom right hand part of the web page and click on the "Program Schedule" link. That link takes you to the home page and just click on the "Program Guide" link.

Does the city lease any of the FEMA buyout properties it purchased?

Some of the FEMA buyout properties are available for lease, but there are restrictions on most of the properties. Some buyout properties can be leased to adjacent property owners while others can be leased to the general public. Most properties cannot be used for permanent structures; some can only be used in a natural state. Some properties cannot be leased at all. It depends on the buyout program and how the city obtained the property. For information about leasing a specific FEMA buyout property, contact the legal department at 361-485-3520.

Is there any way I can do a security check on my home to protect it against burglary?

Yes. The Crime Prevention Unit of the Police Department has a six-page Home Security Inspection Checklist you download. You can find this file by browsing to the city Web site at, roll your mouse over the "police" link and then click on the "crime prevention unit" link. At that Web page click on the "security surveys" link. For more information about the Police Department's Home Security Inspection Checklist, call the Crime Prevention Unit at 361-485-3808.

Send your questions and comments for any city department or activity to City of Victoria, Public Information Office, P.O. Box 1758, Victoria, TX 77902, or



Powered By AffectDigitalMedia