Murder trial ends in mistrial
April 6, 2011 at 6:03 p.m.
Updated April 5, 2011 at 11:06 p.m.
District Judge Skipper Koetter declared a mistrial Wednesday in the murder trial of Timothy Mendoza III.
Mendoza, who is also known as "Timo," was on trial for the 2006 stabbing death of John Gilbert "Harry" Licon.
Koetter declared a mistrial at the request of defense attorney Chris Iles after the jury heard some evidence that suggested Mendoza had been in jail before, which impinged on his presumption of innocence, said Victoria County District Attorney Steve Tyler, who represented the state.
The trial will be rescheduled.
Mendoza, 38, was charged with murder and engaging in organized criminal activity in connection with Licon's death.
On Jan. 19, 2006, Licon, 36, was found dead with multiple stab wounds in a grassy field between two night clubs on Port Lavaca Drive.
Tyler said he expected the case to go back to trial in two weeks.
"The family is eager and the prosecution is eager," said Tyler about the upcoming new trial.
Messages left for Iles were not returned as of Wednesday evening.