College Q&A: CARS centers available to help students

April 9, 2011 at midnight
Updated April 8, 2011 at 11:09 p.m.

By Kary Long

I'm a sophomore at Gonzales High School and I've seen a Victoria College office at my school. Is that for taking classes at VC?

Actually, the Victoria College office that you see in your high school is a CARS Center. "CARS" stands for College Access Resource and Success and it is a resource office provided by VC's Title V grant (federally funded through the Department of Education) to help high school students make the transition from high school to college with ease.

VC has partnered with the Gonzales, Calhoun County and Victoria Independent School districts to open VC-operated CARS centers on each high school campus.

Gonzales High School has a CARS Center in operation on campus and is staffed with a full-time VC academic adviser who is there to assist you throughout the school year.

The Calhoun County CARS Center will open Fall 2011. Victoria East CARS Center will open in Fall 2013, and the West campus CARS Center will open Fall 2014.

At a CARS Center, you have access to everything you need to get started going to college - even before you're finished with high school. You can find out about college entrance testing, explore your career options and find out which programs are the best fit to help you reach your goals. There are also tools and assessments available to assist you with your academic skills, such as identifying any weaknesses and how to use your strengths to help improve your grades.

You can also get help with non-academic skills that will be useful throughout high school, college and your career, such as time-management skills, effective note-taking, study skills, and test-taking tips and techniques.

In the CARS computer lab, students have access to computers connected to the Internet for independent exploration of educational and vocational programs at any college or university, vocational schools, trade schools or even military opportunities. You can also search for scholarships and financial aid to help pay for college.

Parents of high school students are also welcome to visit CARS centers and have access to the same resources that students do.

Be sure to stop by the CARS Center on your campus; there's a lot to explore.

Do you have a question about Victoria College? Contact Katy Long, Marketing and Communications Department, at 361-485-6835, or



Powered By AffectDigitalMedia