City Corner: Volunteers needed for Bootfest

Aug. 7, 2011 at 3:07 a.m.

By Jennifer Sourdellia

I'm looking forward to attending the upcoming Bootfest, and I heard that event volunteers are needed. How can I get involved?

Bootfest, which will be Oct. 21-22, is seeking volunteers to help ensure this first-ever event is successful and enjoyable.

There are numerous volunteer opportunities available in a variety of roles and areas - event leaders, emergency operating center, first aid, information center, lost child host, set up and tear down, hospitality and volunteers to help assist with the poker tournament.

If you are interested in volunteering your time, contact Bootfest Volunteer Chairperson Cheryl Marthiljohni at 361-485-3500 or email

For a detailed listing of volunteer opportunities and a volunteer application, please visit

Who pays hotel occupancy taxes and how can the funds be spent?

Hotel Occupancy Tax funds are paid by out-of-town visitors spending the night in local hotel rooms. By state law, these funds can only be spent on advertising that directly promotes tourism and the hotel industry; promotions of the convention industry that directly promote tourism and the hotel industry; promotion of the arts that directly promote tourism and the hotel industry; historical preservation that directly promotes tourism and the hotel industry; and promotion of sporting events that increase economic activity at hotels. Use of these funds for any other purpose is illegal.

With three more months left before hurricane season is officially over, what type of items should my family include in an emergency evacuation kit? What other helpful tips or information can you provide?

Although Tropical Storm Don did not make its way to Victoria, everyone should be prepared if another storm threatens our region. You and your family should have an evacuation plan and an emergency kit in place. Be sure to include the following items in your storm and emergency kit:

Water - At least one gallon daily per person for three to seven days.

Food - Non-perishable or canned food, juices and snacks; foods for infants and the elderly; non-electric can opener, cooking tools and fuel, paper plates and plastic utensils.

Blankets and pillows.

Clothing - seasonal, rain gear and sturdy shoes.

First aid kit/medicines/prescriptions - Refill prescriptions and have current insurance card on hand.

Toiletries/hygiene items/moisture wipes.


Battery-operated radio with NOAA weather band capability.

Fully-charged cell phone with extra battery and a traditional land line telephone.

Cash and credit cards (keep in mind that ATM machines may not be available for extended periods).

Important documents - Insurance, medical records, bank account numbers, Social Security cards and other important papers. Keep all of the documents in a waterproof container.

Make sure all vehicles are fueled up.

Stay informed by registering your cell phone or unlisted phone number online with Global Connect, an emergency notification system that allows local officials to communicate emergency information to the Victoria community during emergencies. To register, visit You can also call 211 from 8 a.m.-5 p.m. Monday-Friday and register your contact information. For more information, call the Office of Emergency Management at 361-485-3362 or visit

Do you have a question about the city of Victoria? Please submit your questions and comments about any city department to Jennifer Sourdellia in the communications/public information office by emailing or mail to P.O. Box 1758, Victoria, TX 77902.



Powered By AffectDigitalMedia