Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Advertise with us

Family's home destroyed in Goliad fire

Camille Doty

By Camille Doty
Dec. 2, 2011 at 6:02 a.m.
Updated Dec. 3, 2011 at 6:03 a.m.

Olga Guerra, 39, of Goliad, lost all of her possessions in a fire Thursday evening. None of the eight occupants were injured.

GOLIAD - Olga Guerra said she is sad and hurt that her home, for the past 10 years was destroyed Thursday evening.

But the 39-year-old stay-at-home mother is grateful to be alive.

"I'm glad none of the children got hurt," she said.

Guerra lived in the 200 block of Hennig Road with her six children, ages 4 to 14, and boyfriend Donald Riggs.

About 8 p.m., Guerra noticed smoke coming from one of her children's rooms.

At first, she unplugged the electronics. But the problem got worse.

Later, she learned the water heater caught on fire.

"The whole house was full of smoke," she said Friday.

Everyone managed to get out of the house. But they've lost all of their possessions. Because of the smoke damage, her house is inhabitable, she said.

The children's Christmas presents were also destroyed.

She said it was her tradition to surprise them with the gifts under the tree after the Christmas in Goliad parade.

The parade was Friday night.

Guerra's son, Aldo Guerra Jr., is concerned about his dog Merv. He hasn't seen his pet Chihuahua since the fire.

Guerra's husband Aldo Guerra Sr. died of lung cancer last year, so she said she has to be strong for her family.

"I have to be there for my kids," she said.

The Guerras are staying with Olga's father, Juan Trevino Jr., in Goliad, until they make other living arrangements.

Linda May, emergency services, specialist, said the American Red Cross Crossroads Chapter has provided clothes, food, blankets and shelter.

"We are going to help take care of their immediate needs," May said.



Powered By AdvocateDigitalMedia