Calhoun's McCrory named to APSE 4A all-state first team
Dec. 14, 2011 at 6:14 a.m.
Updated Dec. 15, 2011 at 6:15 a.m.
Calhoun senior Nick McCrory rarely left the field this season and for good reason.
McCrory played linebacker, tight end and on special teams for the Sandcrabs, who went 12-1 and advanced to the regional playoffs.
But McCrory's biggest impact was on defense where he had 106 tackles, including 15 tackles for loss and 10 sacks. He scored six defensive touchdowns and blocked six kicks.
McCrory's performance led to his selection on the first team of The Associated Press Sports Editors Class 4A all-state football team announced Wednesday.
"He was just phenomenal," said Calhoun coach Richard Whitaker. "He's just a playmaker. He's a young man who can change the game. He's just a great kid who works hard and gives you his best effort every time he takes the field."
Calhoun offensive lineman Thaelen Villarreal and linebacker Alex Trevino earned honorable mention.
Also earning honorable mention were Victoria East running back Johnathan Garner and defensive back Justin Kalinowski, and El Campo offensive lineman Joey Hunt.
Running back Johnathan Gray of Aledo was named the offensive player of the year.
Defensive back Dane Balazs of Lake Travis was selected as the defensive player of the year.
TEXAS APSE CLASS 4A ALL-STATE FOOTBALL TEAM
- REGGIE HARRIS, Killeen, Sr. -- Graded 95 pct., no sacks allowed, 40 pancakes, 35 knockdowns
- LATHAM JOHNSON, Aledo, Sr. -- Graded 94 pct., 2 pancakes per game; offense averaged 533 yds, 58 pts per game
- JORDAN MATHEWS, Mansfield Summit, Sr. -- Graded 99 pct., 2 sacks allowed on 226 passes, 61 knockdowns
- JOHN MICHAEL MCGEE, Texarkana Texas, Sr. -- Army All-Star Game selection
- TANNER STONE, Dallas Highland Park, Sr. -- Top lineman on offense that averaged 463 yds per game
- DYLAN CANTRELL, Whitehouse, Jr. -- 78 catches, 1,277 yds, 19 TDs
- TRE-MUND MOORE, Brenham, Sr. -- 60 catches, 833 yds, 18 TDs
- DALYN WILLIAMS, Lake Dallas, Sr. -- 3,211 passing yds, 31 TDs, 4 INTs; 68 pct. completion; 537 rush yds, 7 TDs
- JOHNATHAN GRAY, Aledo, Sr. -- 2,422 rush yds, 47 TDs; 405 receiving yds, 5 TDs
- DARRELL HARRIS, Waco, Sr. -- 2,318 rush yds, 21 TDs; 207 receiving yds, 1 TD
- CAMERON WASHINGTON, Corsicana, Sr. -- 1,960 rush yds, 29 TDs
- JUAN CARRANCO, Dayton, Jr. -- School-record 21 FGs
Offensive Player of the Year: Johnathan Gray, Aledo
- GLYNN CHEEKS, Manvel, Sr. -- 56 tackles, 18 TFL, 15 sacks, 14 hurries, 3 pass breakups, 2 forced fumbles
- MARIO EDWARDS, Denton Ryan, Sr. -- 56 tackles, 28 TFL; 10 sacks; 3 forced fumbles; 1 safety
- LUIS HERNANDEZ, Edcouch-Elsa, Sr. -- 88 solo tackles, 41 assists, 19 sacks, 21 TFL, 3 forced fumbles, 2 TD fumble returns
- DEQUAN RAINDLE, Corsicana, Sr. -- 84 tackles, 9 sacks, 8 TFL, 2 forced fumbles, 8 QB hurries
- J.D. ALLEN, Canyon Randall, Sr. -- 150 tackles; 2-time district defensive player of year
- CORBIN CROW, Lake Travis, Sr. -- 121 tackles, 41 solo, 8 TFL, 5 sacks
- NICK MCCRORY, Port Lavaca Calhoun, Sr. -- 106 tackles, 10 sacks, 15 TFL, 4 defensive TDs, 6 punt/kick blocks
- DANE BALAZS, Lake Travis, Sr. - 12 INTs, 56 tackles, 24 solo, 3 sacks
- PAUL CASTILLO, CC Calallen, Sr. -- 86 tackles, 47 solo, 10 TFL, 6 INTs, 10 pass breakups, 2 forced fumbles
- XAVIER HOWARD, Houston Wheatley, Sr. -- 9 INTs (2 TD returns), 33 pass breakups, 32 solo tackles
- ADRIAN NORWOOD, Waco, Jr. -- 8 INTs, 4 pass breakups, 56.5 tackles, 42 solo
- ANDREW MITCHELL, Northwest Nelson, Sr. -- 45-yd avg. on 35 punts; 8 over 50 yds, long of 68; 12 inside 20
Defensive Player of the Year: Dane Balazs, Lake Travis
Linemen (six listed because of voting tie):
- T.J. Armstrong, Lake Travis, Sr.; Carlos Cuellar, Weslaco East, Sr.; Roclan Drain, Corsicana, Sr.; Chris Edling, Corsicana, Sr.; Kyler Nicotre, Port Neches-Groves, Sr.; Taylor Romero, Manvel, Sr.
- Jonathan Aldridge, Whitehouse, Sr.; Corey Coleman, Richardson Pearce, Sr.
- Hunter Taylor, Whitehouse, Sr.
- Bobby Huey, Wolfforth Frenship, Sr.; Daje Johnson, Pflugerville Hendrickson, Sr.; Tim Wright, La Marque, Sr.
- Austin Shoemake, Frisco Centennial, Jr.
- Derriel Collins, Killeen, Sr.; Roland Gonzales, SA McCollum, Sr.; Jesse Hooper, Montgomery, Sr.; Taiwan Johnson, Manvel, Sr.
Linebackers (four listed because of voting tie):
- Keegan Bradley, Austin Travis, Sr.; A.J. Davis, Kilgore, Jr.; Alex De La Torre, Denton Ryan, Sr.; Alex Faoro, FW Arlington Heights, Sr.
- Mookie Carlisle, Stephenville, Soph.; Braden Coverdale, Stephenville, Sr.; Trey Ingram, Canyon Randall, Sr.; Cameron O'Reilly, Richardson Pearce, Sr.
- James Potts, Pflugerville Hendrickson, Sr.
HONORABLE MENTION OFFENSE
LINEMEN: Jacob Aguilar, Waxahachie; Chase Anderson, Killeen; Derek Baldeschwiler, Burleson; Andrew Billings, Waco; Jake Brearton, CC Calallen; Moises Castaneda, Sherman; Christian Garcia, Weslaco East; Reese Harred, Sulphur Springs; Joey Hunt, El Campo; Donald Jackson, Kilgore; Bryan Manley, Stephenville; Tevin McCray, Denton Ryan; Travis Romero, Manvel; David Roulston, Canyon Randall; Thaelen Villarreal, Port Lavaca Calhoun; Gabe Whitman, Pflugerville Hendrickson; Jordan Williams, Denton Ryan.
RECEIVERS/ENDS: Marcell Ateman, Wylie East; Zach Austin, Lake Travis; Addison Bustos, Amarillo Caprock; Cody Clayton, Sulphur Springs; Kason Fornes, Kerrville Tivy; Chance Garey, Wichita Falls; Griffin Gilbert, Lake Travis; Brice Gunter, Stephenville; Brandon Moss, EP Chapin; Jayce Nelson, Port Neches-Groves; Deon Price, Austin McCallum; Robbie Rhodes, FW Southwest; Fred Ross, Tyler; Mike Williams, Pearland Dawson.
QUARTERBACKS: J.T. Barrett, WF Rider; Collin Bowen, Canyon Randall; Michael Guerrero, Amarillo Caprock; Dean Haveman, Brenham; Andres Herrera, Dayton; Gary Kimble, Pearland Dawson; Don King III, Waxahachie; Baker Mayfield, Lake Travis; Jacorey McQueen, Manor; Greg Ward, Tyler.
RUNNING BACKS: Jabari Anderson, Wylie East; Chase Bertrand, Port Neches-Groves; Calvin Burns, Mansfield Summit; Johnathan Garner, Victoria East; Ryan Jackson, Angleton; Jakobi Jones, Beaumont Ozen; Arthur Lockett, Houston Yates; Lawrence Mattison, Smithson Valley; Preston Miller, Dallas Highland Park; Aaron Munguia, Weslaco East; Marcus Price, CC Calallen.
KICKERS: Jake Brearton, CC Calallen; Dalton Hestand, Denison; Conner Hollabaugh, Amarillo Caprock; Austin Lightle, Hallsville; J.B. McBride, Frisco Liberty; Mark Orozco, Denton Ryan.
HONORABLE MENTION DEFENSE
LINEMEN: Andrew Allen, Frisco Liberty; Chase Appleby, Frisco Centennial; Jay Arnold, Rockwall-Heath; Dominique Banks, Denton Ryan; Tyus Bowser, Tyler; Corbin Carr, Nederland; Eric Davis, Tyler; Andrew Garza, Edcouch-Elsa; Jaylen Hill, Aledo; Jude Jefress, Lake Travis; Dylan McDorman, WF Rider; Richard McKinney, Denison; Chris Paige, Kilgore; Drew Percle, Frisco Liberty; Jordan Points, Rockwall-Heath; Derick Roberson, Northside Brennan; K.J. Smith, Frisco Centennial; Michael Wiser, CC Calallen.
LINEBACKERS: Amir Adkins, Hutto; Chris Belmares, Weslaco East; Nick Bush, Frisco Centennial; Daniel Carrillo, El Paso; Ian Compton, Dallas Adams; Dayne Davis, Aledo; Colton Estill, Wolfforth Frenship; Padyn Giebler, Stephenville; Frankie Guerra, Rosenberg Terry; Bryson Haywood, Jacksonville; Shaquille Jones, Dallas Molina; Webster Jones, Angleton; Justin McMath, CC Moody; Braylon Mitchell, Sherman; Skylar Nelson, SA Alamo Heights; Montana Quirante, Vidor; Jordan Richmond, Denton Ryan; Justin Richter, Hewitt Midway; Mason Shaw, Dallas Highland Park; Stephen Smith, Wolfforth Frenship; Jacob Studdard, Hutto; Alex Trevino, Port Lavaca Calhoun; Kahlee Woods, Sherman.
DEFENSIVE BACKS: Steven Aikens, Arlington Seguin; Victor Davis, Rosenberg Terry; Marquise Elder, Angleton; Mark Gottsacker, Dallas Highland Park; Mario Henderson, Rockwall-Heath; William Jackson, Houston Wheatley; Justin Kalinowski, Victoria East; Tre Mask, Sherman; Bryant McClendon, Livingston; Kameron Miles, West Mesquite; Trey Mohair, Denton Ryan; Aaron Potter, Smithson Valley; Ryan Reid, Sherman; Chase Romero, Port Neches-Groves; Ty Scott, Dripping Springs; Zach Streuling, Lake Travis; Shea Wood, Aledo.
PUNTERS: Leland Hamilton, Beaumont Ozen; Conner Hollabaugh, Amarillo Caprock; Roy Patti, Denison; Ethan Perry, Smithson Valley.