City Corner column: Holiday trash pickup, live Christmas tree pickup

Dec. 25, 2011 at 6:25 a.m.

By Jennifer Sourdellia

Will extra holiday trash be picked up after Christmas? When will live Christmas trees be picked up?

With Christmas behind us, it's time to discard some of that extra holiday trash. The city will pick up extra garbage this week, so gather up of all of those cardboard boxes, packaging, gift boxes, wrapping paper, ribbons, bows, gift bags and holiday cards. Residents should put extra holiday trash in plastic bags, boxes or old trash cans and place them at least 5 feet away from the automated cart by 7 a.m. on your normal trash collection day.

Please note that no yard waste will be picked up with the extra garbage collection. Yard waste collection will resume on Jan. 2. Live Christmas trees will be picked up as yard waste with the yard waste collection starting on Jan. 2. Only live trees will be collected. Please remove the tree stand and all lights and decorations.

For more information, please call the Environmental Services Department at 361-485-3230.

Do I need a permit to build a fence in my yard?

Permits are not required to build a fence on your property. Fences and walls are allowed in any residential yard along the property line, provided that the fence does not exceed eight feet in height. Fences or walls located in front of the front building line shall not exceed three feet in height.

On corner lots, fences and walls shall not encroach on the front or exterior side building lines. Fences constructed of plywood or corrugated steel sheets are not allowed.

For more information, please call the Development Center at 361-485-3320.

I live in the Belltower subdivision. How can I find out who my city council representative is? Also, are the city council meetings and other programming on Vtv15 available online and on-demand?

Most residents in Belltower fall into District 4, which is represented by City Councilman David Hagan. Belltower residents are also represented by Super District 6 City Councilman Tom Halepaska and by Mayor Will Armstrong, who represents the entire city.

To find out who your city council representative is, visit Scroll down the bottom of the page and click on "Map of City Council Districts." The map will show the various streets and districts. Find your street or neighborhood on the map - there will be a corresponding number. Go back to the city council member page on the website and match the corresponding district number with the representative's district number - this will determine who your city council representative is.

In response to your second question, yes, the city council meetings, parks commission meetings, planning commission meetings and most original programming on Vtv15 are available online at These programs can be watched at your convenience on your computer, television or mobile device that has Internet access.

Do you have a question about the city of Victoria? Please submit your questions and comments about any city department to Jennifer Sourdellia in the Communications/Public Information Office by emailing or mail to P.O. Box 1758, Victoria, TX 77902.



Powered By AffectDigitalMedia