Mother of defendant said she tried to stop her son from getting into trouble
Feb. 16, 2011 at 7:03 p.m.
Updated Feb. 15, 2011 at 8:16 p.m.
The mother of a man on trial for a 2010 shooting death testified on Wednesday that she tried to talk her son out of going to the trailer park where the shooting later occurred.
Enrique Guayo Guerra, also known as "Ricky," 20, of Victoria, is charged with murder in the shooting death of 21-year-old Joe Angel Caltzontzin, who was found lying outside his father's mobile home at 2204 E. North St. with multiple gunshot wounds.
Because of the ties this case has to the gang Hermanos Pistoleros Latinos, the Victoria County District Attorney's Office has asked The Victoria Advocate not to use the names of some court witnesses for their protection.
Guerra's mother told jurors she was unsuccessful in stopping her son and Juan Chavez, who was 16 years old at the time, from going over to her ex-boyfriend Angel Caltzontzin's home to discuss a money issue.
Joe's father and Guerra's mother disagreed over a missing $400, which Angel Caltzontzin claimed came up missing after he stayed the night at her house a month before Joe's death.
Angel Caltzontzin said the money was stolen, but Guerra's mother contends Angel Caltzontzin, who was supposedly drunk at the time, spent his money on items for his son and her children as well as a dinner for five at Subway.
"We did have extra meat, and that cost extra," said Guerra's mother.
The day Joe died, Guerra's mother said Enrique and Chavez came to her home to pick up some laundry; however, they ended up discussing the money issue.
"I think (Enrique) was on drugs at the time," said Guerra's mother. "He looked high."
She added, "He was just moody, aggravated."
While the boys were at her home, she said she overheard Chavez make threats toward the Caltzontzins.
Worried that Enrique would get into trouble after the boys left her home, she drove by Angel Caltzontzin's trailer park to make sure everything was OK.
However, after she spotted the boys at a nearby Conoco station in the red Chevrolet Camaro, she later left and went to a friend's house.
Soon after, she said she received a call from Enrique.
She said she heard someone in the background say, "We got those fools."
While on the stand, Guerra's mother shared intimate details about her six children, five of whom are boys.
"All my boys have a history of using weapons and fighting," she said, as she admitted her household had been investigated by Child Protective Services in the past for violence.
She said her younger boys, ranging from age 10 to 20, aspired to be just like her eldest son, Jose Celis.
Celis, 21, also known as "El Tigre," is currently incarcerated for capital murder and engaging in organizing criminal activity in connection with the Dec. 21 shooting of Rocky Wayne Neisser II, according to earlier reports.
During the trial, Angel Caltzontzin also took the stand.
With the help of a translator, the 50-year-old construction worker discussed the moments leading up to and following his son's death.
"My son died in my arms," said Caltzontzin, who is in the process of being deported. "I laid him down, and saw his phone there."
Additionally, Joe Angel Caltzontzin's 16-year-old female friend also took the stand, tearfully recapping her last phone call with him.
The two were on the phone together when he was shot.
"He said wait up, then he got quiet," said the 16-year-old, who said she heard screams over the phone. "I thought he was ignoring me, so I hung up."
She learned Caltzontzin was not ignoring her about 10 minutes later when one of his family members called her back and told her he had been shot.
"He was calm," she said, as she recounted the phone conversation.
A warrant has been issued for Juan Chavez for the charge of murder.
He has not been apprehended yet.
The prosecution has plans to rest on Thursday.