City Corner: Historic Driving Guide for Victoria

July 24, 2011 at 2:24 a.m.

By Jennifer Sourdellia

Is there a historic home driving guide for Victoria? How can I get one?

The city of Victoria, chartered in 1839, is among the original 23 counties established by the First Congress of the Republic of Texas, and the downtown area holds an abundance of historic charm.

The Victoria Visitors and Convention Bureau recently published a historic homes driving guide for tourists and locals alike.

The driving tour guide was originally published in 1986 by the Bronte Club, Victoria Historical Commission and Victoria Preservation, Inc., with assistance from the Cultural Council of Victoria.

The self-guided driving tour includes 81 historic homes and points of interest.

To request a copy of the historic home driving guide, call Casey Staudt at 361-582-4285 or stop by the Visitors Center at its new location at 700 Main Center, Ste. 101. Copies of the guide are also available in the Communications/Public Information Office, also located at 700 Main Center in Suite 105, or at Victoria Preservation, Inc. at 205 W. Goodwin Ave.

I frequently visit the city's public parks and notice that vandalism is a problem. Just out of curiosity, how much does it cost the city to clean up graffiti and vandalism, and what can I do to help prevent it?

Graffiti and vandalism damage to city parks, no matter how big or small, is costly. Depending on the extent of damage, it can cost from $50 to more than $200 to remove graffiti. It costs between $1,500 - $3,000 to replace a damaged slide; $100 to replace a broken light bulb on the hike and bike trail; $300 to replace a toilet; $250 to replace a broken barbecue pit and $650 to replace a damaged picnic table.

If you see someone in the act of vandalizing property in the city's public parks, please report it immediately by calling 911.

I have a few buckets of old paint that have been sitting in my garage for several months. How can I safely dispose of it?

If the paint in your garage is water-based latex paint, then you have a few options.

The easiest way to dispose of unused paint is to use it. If the paint is still usable and you don't have future use for it, you may want to consider giving it to someone who does.

Usable paint can be given to friends, relatives, neighbors, community service organizations or non-profit organizations.

You may also want to consider donating it to the Habitat Re-Store, 1101 N. William St., where it can be re-sold to customers or used when Habitat for Humanity homes are constructed.

Non-reusable latex paint can be dried-out by removing the lid or by using kitty litter or other absorbents. Once completely dry, the paint can be discarded with your household garbage.

Paint is a common household hazardous waste. Unused paint should never be poured down the drain or dumped on the ground. If disposed of improperly, chemicals in paint can be harmful to humans, animals and the environment.

Do you have a question about the City of Victoria? Please submit your questions and comments about any city department to Jennifer Sourdellia in the Communications/Public Information Office by emailing or mail to P.O. Box 1758, Victoria, TX 77902.



Powered By AffectDigitalMedia