City Corner: How much revenue collected in sales taxes? What is it used for?

June 12, 2011 at 1:12 a.m.

By O.C. Garza

How much money does the city collect in sales taxes and property taxes? Is that enough to pay for all city services?

The city collected about $25 million in sales taxes and property taxes during the last fiscal year and no, those taxes do not pay for all city services. In fact, the $25 million collected from sales and property taxes barely covers the cost of operating our police and fire departments. That leaves many other city services, including parks, library, garbage, and recycling that must be funded from other revenue sources.

Does the City of Victoria have a juvenile curfew? If there is one, are parents legally bound to monitor their minor-aged children during curfew?

Yes to both questions. It is unlawful for unsupervised minors younger than 17 years old to be in any public place or on the premises of any commercial establishment between 12:01 a.m. and 6 a.m. Monday through Thursday, and between 1 a.m. and 6 a.m. on Saturday and Sunday. It is also illegal for minors to be in any public place or on the premises of a commercial establishment between 9 a.m. and 3 p.m. when their school is in session.

Offenders are ticketed for a misdemeanor offense and their parents are notified. Fines for breaking curfew can reach $500. If minors are ticketed three times in a 24-month period, they are subject to appropriate action by a juvenile court.

Parents of a minor commit an offense if they knowingly permit, or by insufficient control, allow a minor to remain in any public place or on the premises of any commercial establishment during curfew hours. For more information about the curfew, call the Victoria Police Department at 361-485-3700.

Does the water meter detect water leaks?

Water meters will detect any water moving through the meter, including water leaks. In addition to the odometer that records the volume of water that passes through the meter, there is a small leak detector, or low flow indicator dial, located on the face of the meter that spins when any water is passing through the meter. The faster it spins, the more water is passing through the meter.

Is a building permit required for eight-by-10-foot storage shed that I want to put in my backyard?

No. A building permit is not required for any residential structure that is less than 200 square feet. You do need to anchor the building however. If you are going to place a storage building on your property, it is always a good idea to check with our Building and Permit Department at 700 Main Center. They can help you keep the storage shed away from the property lines and utility easements, and make sure it is not in the hundred year floodplain. For more information about city permits, call 361-485-3320.

Can leftover light cooking oils be run through my garbage disposal?

No. Never put any cooking oils or grease down the drain. Our Pretreatment Department recommends that after cooking, pour leftover grease and oils into covered collection containers like an empty mayonnaise jar, and dispose of it in the garbage.

To lessen the impact of oils and greases when washing dishes, don't run hot water over dishes, fryers or griddles to wash oil and grease down the drain. Instead, wipe them with a paper towel before washing and put the dirty paper towels in the garbage. Another way to help prevent sewer lines blocked by grease and oils is to use environmentally safe cleaning products instead of harsh detergents or cleaners that can damage sewer lines. If you generate large amounts of used cooking oil, recycle it at the Huvar Recycle Center.

Send your questions and comments for any city department or activity to City of Victoria, Public Information Office, P.O. Box 1758, Victoria, TX 77902, or



Powered By AffectDigitalMedia