Cause of mobile home fire determined
March 2, 2011 at 7:01 p.m.
Updated March 1, 2011 at 9:02 p.m.
Investigators determined the cause of a fire that destroyed a mobile home and critically injured a Victoria man in the 400 block of Coleto Drive Tuesday afternoon.
The home's resident, Andy Martinez, had been burning trash next to his home for most of the day, said County Fire Marshal Ron Pray. After Martinez went inside, embers spread to nearby litter, leaves and other objects, Pray said.
From there, the fire probably spread to leaves underneath the mobile home. That, combined with the humidity and several gas cans on the property, quickly accelerated the fire, Pray said.
A hospital spokesperson confirmed Martinez was in Brooke Army Medical Center's burn unit Wednesday, but would not provide details on his condition.