City corner: Some banners require permits

March 6, 2011 at 10:02 p.m.
Updated March 5, 2011 at 9:06 p.m.

By O.C. Garza

What are the regulations for installing a banner for my business?

Banners are regulated by the city sign ordinance because of past complaints about their use and neglect.

A banner is defined as any temporary sign which is made from reinforced vinyl, and is usually hemmed and has grommet along the edges. Here are the key facts about banners.

Banners are easy to understand if they are to be mounted on a private light pole within off-street parking lots, maneuvering and display areas.

Banners should be mounted on a frame attached to a permanently affixed light pole, but no more than two banners can be mounted on a light pole. A clearance of 8 feet from the ground to the bottom of the banner is required. Banners cannot measure more than 3 feet in width or 8 feet in height. Banners cannot be faded, tattered or torn.

A permit is not needed for banners mounted on private light poles and they can be displayed for an unlimited amount of time if they do not become faded, tattered or torn.

A permit is required if a banner is placed anywhere other than a private light pole. Each banner permit is $30. The holder of a valid banner permit may install one temporary banner on the lot identified in the permit. A banner permit is valid up to the end of the last day of the month in which issued.

Banners cannot be attached to any public utility poles, support wire, tree or create a sight obstruction for drivers. Banners should be securely fastened and not become torn, tattered or faded. The permit must be visible from the street or parking area.

For more information on banners, contact our development center at 361-485-3320.

Does the city do an annual "roundup" of drivers with outstanding tickets?

Yes, and that ticket roundup is under way through March 13. Victoria police officers are searching for any offenders who have not paid their tickets or fines.

To find out if you are on the warrant list, visit the city website at and click on the link to the municipal court. A list of all offenders with outstanding warrants (Class C misdemeanors) is titled "Are You Going to Jail?"

Offenders on the list can avoid arrest by calling the municipal court to arrange payment at 361-485-3050. Any Class C misdemeanor filed in the Victoria Municipal Court can be paid in full online, including traffic fines, city ordinance violations and state law violations. The city accepts credit cards and Western Union for these payments. Partial payments or partial payment requests must be made in person at the municipal court.

Please note that juvenile offenses cannot be paid online. All juveniles are required to appear in open court for all proceedings in their cases.

Juveniles must appear with a parent or legal guardian. For more information about the roundup, or to arrange payment of any tickets or fines, call municipal court at 485-3050.

Does the city lease any of the FEMA buyout properties it purchased?

Some of the FEMA buyout properties are available for lease, but there are restrictions on most of the properties.

Some buyout properties can be leased to adjacent property owners while others can be leased to the general public. Most properties cannot be used for permanent structures; some can only be used in a natural state.

Some properties cannot be leased at all. It depends on the buyout program and how the city obtained the property.

For information about leasing a specific FEMA buyout property, contact the legal department at 485-3520.

O.C. Garza is the spokesman for the city of Victoria.



Powered By AffectDigitalMedia