Victoria city council to discuss drain wall, UHV
By BY BRIAN M. CUARON
May 1, 2011 at 12:01 a.m.
The Victoria city council is expected to get an update Tuesday on the litigation involving a five-ton concrete wall.
Homeowner Keith Redburn had erected the wall inside the mouth of a storm sewer culvert and had filed an injunction to keep city workers from coming onto his land and taking it down. He said that water from the storm sewer brought trash and eroded his soil, taking down his trees.
However, District Judge Stephen Williams on Wednesday ordered Redburn to tear down his wall. If Redburn doesn't comply within seven days of the order, then the city may take it down.
Williams also ordered the longstanding issues to be mediated.
City Attorney Thomas Gwosdz is scheduled to give the update. Gwosdz has declined to talk to the Advocate about the case in the past.
In other city news, Councilman David Hagan has requested that the Victoria Economic Development Corp. give a report on the $100,000 allocation it received to educate people about the possible switch of the University of Houston-Victoria to the Texas A&M system.
Councilman Tom Halepaska said he expects to find out how much, if any, of the $100,000 has been spent so far.