Water heater catches house on fire on Levi Street
Nov. 1, 2011 at 6:01 a.m.
A water heater caused a house fire in the 2300 block of Levi Street around 10 p.m. Tuesday.
Maria Spayaen, 52, and her husband Audencio Pallan-Acebedo, 40 were in their bedroom when they smelled smoke.
Their son, Gabriel Cervantes, 22, also smelled smoke from his bedroom and followed the smell to the kitchen where he found the water heater on fire.
Cervantes tried to put it out, but he couldn't.
Firefighters were able to extinguish the fire before it spread through the house.
The fire was contained to the area around the water heater, with the area receiving minimal flame damage. The rest of the house had minor smoke damage, said Battalion Chief Shannon Martin.
The cause of the fire appeared to be a malfunction of the water heater, Martin said.