City Corner column: Still time to register a float for Christmas parade

Nov. 13, 2011 at 5:13 a.m.

By Jennifer Sourdellia

When is the deadline to enter a float in the annual Christmas parade? When is Christmas in the Park?

Applications for the annual Christmas parade will be accepted until 5 p.m. Friday.

Bands and businesses, service organizations, churches and cheerleaders are invited to showcase their holiday spirit at the Christmas parade on Dec. 3 along Main and Bridge streets in downtown Victoria. The parade will begin at 6 p.m., and an estimated 20,000 people are expected to attend the two-hour event.

Entries are not limited to Victorians; surrounding towns are encouraged to participate. For more information, please contact the Parks and Recreation Department at 361-485-3200. Applications are available at or

Christmas in the Park has been moved downtown and has been re-named Christmas on the Square in Historic Downtown. Families are invited to kick-off the holiday season by attending Christmas on the Square in Historic Downtown on Dec. 2. This fun, free event begins at 6 p.m. with a lighting ceremony downtown at DeLeon Plaza. There will be Christmas carolers, bell ringers, games, inflatables, reindeer food, cookie decorating, a petting zoo, hot chocolate and cookies. Santa Claus will also be making an appearance. Don't forget to bring your camera.

Does Victoria use red light cameras similar to those in Port Lavaca?

No. The cameras you see at major intersections around Victoria are traffic detection cameras linked to our signal lights to help with traffic flow.

Traffic lights controlled by cameras do a better job of traffic control than pressure operated intersections, plus they do not get torn up every time a street is repaved or repaired. The installation cost at a typical intersection is about $250,000 so only one new "controlled intersection" per year is budgeted. Again, these traffic detection cameras are not red-light cameras and do not take pictures of anyone running a red light.

If I work in Victoria, but live in a neighboring county, can I check out books at the Victoria public library?

Yes. Library cards are free to residents of Texas.

Proof of a current Texas address must be shown with a valid Texas driver's license showing your current address, a Texas Department of Public Safety Identification Card showing your current address or a photo ID and a printed check or utility bill showing your current address. The library also has check out programs for out-of-state residents temporarily living in Victoria too. For more information about library cards, visit the library website at

Are bicycles supposed to ride in the same direction as traffic or in the opposite direction?

Cyclists should always travel in the same direction as traffic flow. Cyclists should stay near the right edge of the roadway unless they are passing a vehicle or turning left at an intersection. Cyclists should always remember to use hand signals for a left turn, right turn or stopping.

Do you have a question about the city of Victoria? Please submit your questions and comments about any city department to Jennifer Sourdellia in the Communications/Public Information Office by emailing or mail to P.O. Box 1758, Victoria, TX 77902.



Powered By AffectDigitalMedia