Registering trailers can help recover them if they are stolen

Nov. 30, 2011 at 5:30 a.m.

Trailers under 4,000 pounds are not required by law to have a Vehicle Identification Number, but registration through the state motor vehicle database will help identify the trailer if it is stolen.

To register a trailer for a VIN number, it must be inspected by an auto theft law enforcement officer.

Goliad County now requires all trailers to register for a VIN number, a representative from the Goliad County Tax Office said.

A story in the Nov. 23 Advocate had confusing information.

Because the Department of Public Safety no longer has a car theft division, and Goliad County does not have a person certified to inspect the trailers before the registration process, the inspections are handled through the Victoria Police Department, said Det. Adam Rodriguez.

The Goliad County Extension Office is hosting a Tri-County CEU Day, an open educational meeting, Thursday morning in Beeville to address laws pertaining to trailers and cover topics such as brush control, hunting hogs out of a helicopter, laws and regulations concerning pesticides and planting lagoons in pastures.

"We have on the books about 1,200 registered farmers, so we're talking about everyone having a couple or three each," said Goliad County Extension Agent Brian Yanta. "Probably more than that. A lot of the bigger operators have 10 or 12 trailers."

The extension service attempts to educate people so they can run their farms both effectively and legally, Yanta said.



Powered By AffectDigitalMedia