Separate fires destroy two area homes
Oct. 31, 2011 at 5:31 a.m.
Two Crossroads families lost their homes and possessions Sunday in separate house fires.
The Victoria Fire Department was called at 9:19 a.m. to the home of John and Ashley Leita on Leita Road near Telferner.
The house and attached garage were 90 percent involved when units arrived and both were a total loss, said Battalion Chief Roger Hempel.
A firefighter was treated for heat exhaustion on the scene that was cleared at 4:05 p.m. Assisting the Victoria Fire Department were the Victoria County Fire Department, the Inez Fire Department and the Lone Tree Fire Department.
Near Cuero, a mobile home was destroyed by fire Sunday afternoon.
When Cuero Fire Department units arrived, the roof has already collapsed, said Cuero Fire Chief Butch Tolbert.
Two residents were home at the residence of George Davidson on Bellevue Cemetery Road when the fire occurred at 3:12 p.m.
The homeowner said it started in the kitchen on the stove, Tolbert said.
Firefighters were on scene for two hours.
There were no injuries in either fire.
For more details see Tuesday's Victoria Advocate and watch for updates on this site.