Separate fires destroy two area homes

Sonny Long

Oct. 31, 2011 at 5:31 a.m.

Mary Davidson didn't think much about the spark she saw when she plugged her electric stove back in after cleaning a burner.

But when Davidson turned back toward the kitchen from her bedroom door, her thoughts turned to escape from her burning mobile home.

"I heard something explode," Davidson said. "I looked around and the whole ceiling was on fire. My mother's antique dishes in the cabinet were exploding over my stove."

Davidson grabbed her three-year-old great-grandson Ray Garcia and got out the door.

"I was terrified," she said. "It was all different colors and I had never seen that before. It was so fast."

The Davidsons, Mary and her husband George Davidson, daughter Theresa Davidson, Theresa's daughter Desiree Davidson, 12, and Mary's great-grandson Ray Garcia, 3, lost all their possessions and their three-bedroom double-wide mobile home.

No one was injured in the fire that began about 3 p.m. Sunday.

When Cuero Fire Department units arrived, the roof has already collapsed, said Cuero Fire Chief Butch Tolbert.

The home is about 12 miles from Cuero on Bellevue Cemetery Road.

Firefighters were on scene for two hours, said Tolbert.



Powered By AffectDigitalMedia