Repairs to gas compressor continue
April 19, 2012 at 7:05 p.m.
Updated April 18, 2012 at 11:19 p.m.
A cracked pipeline is believed to be the cause of a natural gas fire at in Valerus gas compressor on Dreyer Lane, near Mission Valley on Wednesday.
Firefighters closed off pipelines leading to and from the compressor shortly after the fire started, said Victoria County Fire Marshal Ron Pray.
The fire, which started about 3:20 p.m. was monitored by the Victoria Fire Department, Quail Creek, Nursery and Mission Valley volunteer fire departments monitored until the natural gas in the pipelines completely burned out about 9 p.m., Pray said.
Valerus employees began repairs to the areas of the compressor damaged by fire on Thursday morning.
The Railroad Commission has concluded its investigation, Pray said. One of the repairmen found a crack in one of the pipelines, which Pray said was most likely the cause of the fire.
"Valerus will work the next couple of days to get it up and running again, then it will continue to operate as normal," Pray said. "Everything is safe in the area, all though everything is still shut down until they get all the repairs made."