DISTRICT 14-2A, D-II: Playoffs not a lock for any team in district
Aug. 30, 2012 at 3:30 a.m.
A question Mike Treybig gets a lot: How will his team fare now that they've dropped to Class 2A?
"It's happened one other time when I was at Industrial," the Palacios coach said. "We moved from 2A to 3A. When we were 2A we went two rounds. Then, we got realigned, went up and all we did was go 9-1 and tie Cuero for the district championship."
Treybig doesn't expect the quality of football to be any less from the district competition the Sharks saw last year. After all, all of the teams in it played at a higher level at one point.
"When you look at the fact that all of the schools in our district was a 3A at one point, all this is a 3A district," Treybig said. "The level of football is just as good as most 3A districts."
District 14-2A, Division I features five strong Class 2A programs, including a state finalist last year (Hempstead, a program dropping from Class 3A (Palacios), and another that is reloading after sending three players to NCAA Division I schools (Edna).
"I have seen a lot of team togetherness," Edna coach Mike Pierce said on the first day of practice. "These guys get along really well. Even though we lost three very good Division I football players, we still have a lot of good players here."
The Cowboys finished 7-4 last year but lost a heartbreaker to Blanco in the playoffs, will start Austin Kelley at quarterback this year, who played under center for three games last season.
Hallettsville will also be a formidable foe entering this season. The Brahmas walked away with a 7-6 record last year, losing in the regional round to Hempstead. Coach Tommy Psencik has seven starters back on both sides of the ball, and with more experience could push the district's top teams.
Rice Consolidated is also returning a majority of its starters on both sides of the ball. Sophomore quarterback Jordan Johnson has a year under his belt and will look to build on a strong showing late last year.
• Coach: Mike Treybig
• Years at current school: 8
• Record at current school: 26-45
• Years as head coach: 25
• Overall record: 131-104-1
• Last year's record: 3-7, 0-4 in district
• Last playoff appearance: 2007, quarterfinals
• Returning starters: QB/DB Anthony Garcia, WR/CB Zach Garcia, RB/LB Seth Garcia, DB Chris Deleon, RB/LB David Aparicio, OL Jordan Sanchez, WR/DB Dy lan Brune.
• Coach: Brad Dumont
• Years at current school: 9
• Record at current school: 74-21
• Years as head coach: 12
• Overall record: 90-35
• Last year's record: 5-4,3-3 in district.
• Last playoff appearance: 2010, quarterfinals
• Returning starters: QB Jordan Johnson, RB James Garner, OT Logan Young, OT/NT Chad Davis, WR Cullen Wiese, WR Everitt Grounds, DB Jamarcus Hodge, DB Ronnie Fry, OLB Justin Semola, ILB Demarcus Tillman, ILB Jimmy Foster, DB Jamical Dancy.
• Coach: Mike Pierce
• Years at current school: 5
• Record at current school: 26-15
• Years as head coach: 10
• Overall record: 63-40-1
• Last year's record: 8-3, 4-2 in district
• Last playoff appearance: 2011, bi-district
• Returning starters: QB Austin Kelley, RB Tyler Kucera, WR John Hughes, OT Anthony Norman, OG Logan Robinson, C Hugo Cruces, FS DeRodrick Jones, R T.J. Foley, CB Weston Muschalek, CB Rudy Ca dena, LB Kristian Grifaldo, LB David John Kallus, LB Kyle Scott, DT Denzel Banks, DE Darnelius Norman.
|33||David John Kallus||RE/LB||Jr.|
• Coach: Shane Lothman
• Years at current school: 2
• Record at current school: 4-6
• Years as head coach: 6
• Overall record: 22-29
• Last year's record: 4-6, 1-5 in district
• Last playoff appearance: 2010, regionals
• Returning starters: RB David Franz, FB/LB Will Knopp, OG Jordan Branum, DE Evan Gregg, DE Mason Davis.
• Coach: Tommy Psencik
• Years at current school: 3
• Record at current school: 10-13
• Years as head coach: 4
• Overall record: 15-19
• Last year's record: 7-6, 4-2 in district
• Last playoff appearance: 2011, regionals
• Returning starters: DE Troy Murphy, RB/DE Tedrick Smith, DT Quinton Wright, QB/WR/DB Carson Schindler, WR Reagan McAda, C Will Wallace, K Sam Barrera, OG Ryan Hoffman, WR/DB Dalton Herrington, QB/DB Nate Kowalik, OT Kyle Leopold.