DISTRICT 25-3A: Quality evident to coaches
Aug. 30, 2012 at 3:30 a.m.
Updated Sept. 3, 2012 at 4:03 a.m.
Tim Finn was the head coach at Class 4A Texas City before moving to Wharton earlier this year and he was aware of the implications of El Campo dropping from 4A and falling into District 25-3A.
"El Campo can go toe to toe with any 4A in the Houston area," Finn said. "As far as the district goes, we didn't exactly welcome them with open arms."
Finn could have made the same statement about Sealy or Bellville, which are ranked Nos. 16 and 17 in the Class 3A preseason poll.
Sealy is led by top recruit Ricky Seals-Jones, who could line up at quarterback, wide receiver, running back and safety.
"This is a very solid district," Finn said. "From top to bottom, you have good teams in this district."
Finn will get no argument from El Campo coach Bob Gillis.
Gillis previously coached at Columbus and knows the quality of the district.
"I coached in that district for four years when I was at Columbus and Sealy has won four state championships and Bellville has won 100,000 games," he said. "Columbus is always good and Wharton went three rounds deep last season. I mean, Brookshire Royal had that kid who is going to A&M and went to Oklahoma. It's a great district. It doesn't matter about the A's."
Finn installed a new offense and defense at Wharton and knows the Tigers must stay healthy to contend for a playoff spot.
"We have to find the right place to play everybody and get the best out of our kids," Finn said. "We've got a solid nucleus but not a lot of depth."
The Ricebirds will have the depth to match any team in the district, but must continue to execute.
"We're kind of the elephant in the room now," Gillis said. "We can't say we're the smallest school in the district because we're the largest. When I came back from realignment and talked to our guys, I did remind them of the district we're getting into."
• Coach: Bob Gillis
• Years at current school: 15
• Record at current school: 112-41-2
• Years as head coach: 19
• Overall record: 141-54-2
• Last year's record: 7-4, 4-2 in district
• Last playoff appearance: 2011, bi-district
• Returning starters: TE/DE Cole Hunt, OT Trey Martin, RB Montrey Johnson, G Deshawn King, C Zeke Tiska, DB Jack Davis, QB Bryce Brandl, FS Mike Wall, LB Brett Prihoda, DB Tamall Terrell, K Alex Montes.
• Coach: Tim Finn
• Years at current school: 1
• Years as a head coach: 12
• Overall record: 67-51
• Last year's record: 6-7, 3-1 in district
• Last playoff appearance: 2011, regionals
• Returning starters: OL Austin Cruz, OL Isaiah Lynch, QB Bartee Grissom, RB/LB Alfred Pinkney, LB Ra'mon Frazier, LB Anthony Ray Jr.
|44||Anthony Ray II||RB/LB||Jr.|