College Q&A: Resolve to help UHV students through scholarship donation

Dec. 30, 2012 at 6:30 a.m.

I made a New Year's resolution to give back to my community in 2013, and I'd like to help local students. What kind of help do University of Houston-Victoria students need?

The new year is a good time to make resolutions that better your life and the lives of others. If your resolution in 2013 is to give back to the community, the University of Houston-Victoria has several ways you can help students trying to achieve their dreams.

One of the big ways that students need help is through financial assistance. UHV has set up the Friends of the University scholarship campaign to address a variety of student financial needs.

For some students, scholarships make higher education possible by financing tuition, textbooks, housing and more. It also makes the choice to attend UHV more appealing.

Your tax-deductible donation allows the university to provide high-quality education and programs that benefit the region. That way, UHV can continue to provide an environment where students can prosper, and ultimately enhance Victoria's economy.

Gifts received are used to help fund these and many other opportunities:•  Presidential Scholarship - promote academic excellence by attracting top students

•  Transfer Scholarship - assist students who choose to come to UHV from another institution to pursue one of UHV's many degree programs

•  Institutional Scholarship - fit the varying needs of qualified UHV students, especially upperclassmen

•  UHV Guarantee - provides financial aid to qualifying Texas freshmen from outside the Victoria region, helping them secure an affordable education

•  Athletic Scholarships - draw top athletes to our men's and women's programs

•  Special initiatives - scholarships that attract students to particular academic programs at UHV

Those interested in making a donation to the Friends of the University campaign or other university advancement initiatives can contact Andrea Dry UHV associate director of annual giving and alumni relations, at or 361-570-4869.

Do you have a question about the University of Houston-Victoria? Contact Katy Walterscheidt, UHV communications specialist, at 361-570-4342 or at



Powered By AffectDigitalMedia