VISD begins interviewing candidates for East coaching vacancy
Jan. 12, 2012 at 11:04 p.m.
Updated Jan. 12, 2012 at 7:13 p.m.
A recommendation for the next football coach at Victoria East will be made when the Victoria Independent School District meets next week.
Barring an unforeseen circumstance in the interim, superintendent Bob Moore will recommend one of the candidates for the vacancy at the Jan. 19 meeting said district athletic director Ralph Escalona.
"I can't guarantee it, but if we decided we don't have the right person we'll start the process over again," Escalona said. "We have a timeline set, but we'll start over. I feel confident we can find someone out of this group of applicants and have someone on board by the 19th."
Interviews with the top 11 candidates are still being conducted. Escalona declined to state the entire list, but noted those already employed by the district - East offensive coordinator Brad Eblen and West defensive coordinator Scott Williams - were interviewed.
One applicant who certainly will not be the next coach at East is former Titans offensive line coach Adam Arroyo. Earlier this week, Arroyo told the Advocate he will leave the teaching and coaching profession for a sales position in the petroleum industry.
Previously, Escalona anticipated 75-100 people would apply for the position. However, when the vacancy closed earlier this month, there were only 65 applicants.
There are nearly 40 coaching vacancies in the state, including openings at Bay City, Goliad and Woodsboro, as well as a smattering of 4A and 5A openings. Nevertheless, Escalona is not worried about attracting the perfect candidate to Victoria.
West football coach Leonard McAngus said Victoria provides a handful of positives for any perspective applicant.
"I think it's a great school district. We have a good place to raise a family and a good administration. To me, it's the right size town. Our school district has done a great job of making improvements and is still in the process of making improvements."
McAngus coached in Victoria for half a decade before moving to a smaller community, Gonzales, then to a school in the shadows of one of Texas' major population centers during his seven-year tenure at Justin Northwest. He added Victoria football players "are hungry to learn and get better, which makes it fun to work with them."
Whoever is recommended to the board next week, their work will be cut out for them, as there will be high expectations placed on him.
"We have two new programs in place and the success has been good for first- and second-year programs," Escalona said. "All the applicants that I have talked to think this is a gold mine. It's a win-win situation for anyone who wants to come here and is lucky enough to be the next coach."
VICTORIA EAST APPLICANTS
The list of candidates was obtained through a Freedom of Information request to VISD:
• Rolando Aguirre, former football coach at Burbank (Calif.) Bellarmine-Jefferson
• John Baker, AD/football coach at Floresville
• Robert "Bob" Bellard, former AD/football coach at Bryan
• Marcus Booker, teacher and outside linebackers coach for NEISD
• Jerry Brakel, head football coach at Irving Nimitz
• Michael Brewster, video coordinator and asst. football coach at Southern Methodist University
• Michael Burget, offensive coordinator at Weslaco East
• Dan Burk, former Yoakum coach and linebackers coach at East Texas Baptist University
• Frederic Camp, ISS teacher in Forney ISD
• Matt Carroll, athletic coordinator and football coach at Waco University
• Heriberto Chinea, football coach at Houston Sterling
• Gerald Cole, offensive coordinator at Pasadena Memorial
• Wayne Condra, defensive coordinator at El Campo and former Victoria High/Memorial football coach
• Lonnie Cook, financial planner at Primerica and former Taos (N.M.) football coach
• Bryan Crews, defensive coordinator at Austin LBJ
• James DeBruin, offensive coordinator at Tomball Memorial
• Josh Dye, defensive quality control coach at Purdue University
• Brad Eblen, offensive coordinator at Victoria East
• Jake Fieszel, AD/head football coach at Gunter
• Shannon Fink, defensive coordator at Alief Elsik
• Bobby Fowler, Teacher and coach at Del Valle
• Roland Gonzalez, athletic coordinator and football coach at Cy-Springs
• Michael Haynes, Teacher/Coach/Crowley ISD
• Kris Heavner, graduate assistant coach at University of Arizona
• William "Trey" Herrmann, head football coach Houston Bellaire
• Graig Hesseltine, AD/Head Football Coach/Ingleside High
• John Hill, social studies teacher/ Coach Mesquite High
• Stan Hodges, offensive coordinator, West Orange-Stark High School
• John Jennings, assistant football coach SA Central Catholic
• Glen Jones, athletic director/head coach, Brady
• Brian Kozma, assistant football coach, Marshall High School
• Brad LaPlante, head coach Alvin
• John Launius, offensive coordinator, LaMarque
• Rich Lucero, spanish teacher, assistant football coach, Katy Taylor High School
• Bruno Mata II, Teacher, assistant offensive & defensive coordinator, Yorktown
• Shaun McDowell, teacher, offensive coordinator, Cypress Creek High School
• Patrick Matthews, offensive coordinator Nimitz High School
• Todd Moody, defensive coordinator, North Mesquite HS
• Terry Morris, former Corpus Christi Carroll head football coach
• Tim Murphy, former football coach at Clovis (Calif.) East (Has since taken a job with a school in Utah.)
• Bryan Muschalek, Head Baseball Coach, Elgin High
• Travis Reeve, offensive coordinator at S.A. Churchill
• Othell Robinson, head football coach, Fort Worth Polytechnic
• Sul Ross, former assistant coach Austin Westlake
• David Satcher, co-defensive coordinator and secondary coach in Cypress Fairbanks ISD; former El Paso Eastwood head coach
• Brett Sawyer, athletic director/head football coach, Sweeny
• Joe Sheffy, assistant head coach, Katy Taylor HS
• Stephen Silva, assistant football coach, Alice
• Cody Simper, athletic coordinator and head football coach at Corpus Christi Ray
• Clayton Sims, Teacher/Co-Offensive Coordinator/Sherman ISD
• Scott Spanton, offensive coordinator, Poteet
• Jeremy Staehlin, defensive coord, Pasadena HS
• Leland Surovik, athletic director/head football coach, Columbia
• Scott Svendsen, offensive coordinator at El Dorado Springs (Missouri)
• Michael Thompson, assistant football coach, South Garland HS
• John Torres, head football coach at South San Antonio
• Antonio Villalon, english teacher,football Coach, Taylor High
• Barry Walker, assistant football Coach, San Antonio East Central
• Michael Watkins,co-offensive Coordinator, Aldine Eisenhower
• Bryan Webb, assistant athletic director/offensive coordinator, San Marcos
• Todd Whitten, offensive coordinator at Lamar University, former Sam Houston State and Tarleton State head coach
• Robert Wilcox, athletic director/head football coach, Kingsville
• Scott Williams, defensive coordinator at Victoria West
• Leslie Winegeart, offensive and defensive coordinator, Corpus Christi Carroll