Fire consumes home near DaCosta (Video)
Jan. 13, 2012 at 6 p.m.
Updated March 13, 2012 at 10:14 p.m.
A man and his son lost their home to a fire on Friday afternoon.
Genaro Sanchez, 74, of Victoria, burnt trash in barrels with covers in the back yard of his home at 710 Davis Lane near DaCosta about 9:30 a.m.
He thought the fire was completely extinguished until he heard a popping sound about 2:57 p.m. as he prepared to leave for the grocery store. When he looked out his back window, his back yard was on fire.
Sanchez, who was home alone, escaped the fire uninjured.
The home was declared a total loss, said Victoria Fire Battalion Chief Roger Hempel.
"I only owed three payments on the trailer. I was going to own it in April," Sanchez said.
Sanchez and his son Miguel Sanchez, 41, who lived with him in the mobile home, are being assisted by the Crossroads Chapter of the American Red Cross.