Rec Room: City fogs for mosquitoes

By Doug Cochran
July 29, 2012 at 2:29 a.m.

All of the recent rain has created an influx of large mosquitoes in my Northcrest neighborhood. I have noticed the city crews fogging for mosquitoes, but it seems as though the fog coming out of the sprayers is not very thick. Are the spraying efforts effective?

The city has been spraying all areas of the city, including the Northcrest area, to ward off the mosquitoes. The fogging machines used by the city do not emit a thick fog. The carrying agent is a mineral oil with insecticide. The spraying is done at optimal times, when there is a light wind blowing and no rain. Under such conditions, the spray will drift about 300 feet from the city vehicle. If you see a vehicle that does not appear to be fogging or is exceeding 12-15 mph, it is likely that the spray technician is traveling to another zone to spray or could be finished with the route.

It takes about three to four days of fogging to cover the entire city. The spraying will continue as long as the mosquito problem persists. Recent fogging efforts have reduced the number of mosquitoes.

Residents can help keep the mosquito population under control by draining anything outdoors that is a potential breeding place for mosquitoes: old tires, pet water bowls, poorly maintained pools, birdbaths, potted plants or clogged rain gutters.

For more information about the mosquito spraying program, call the Victoria Parks and Recreation Department at 361-485-3200.

Can the gazebo at DeLeon Plaza in downtown Victoria be reserved for special events? If so, what is the cost and who do I contact for more information?

Yes, the gazebo at DeLeon Plaza is available as a special event venue. The cost to rent the gazebo at DeLeon Plaza is $50 for up to three hours or $75 for the entire day. For availability of the gazebo and to make a reservation, contact the Victoria Parks and Recreation Department at 361-485-3200.

Many weddings, outdoor concerts, dances, parades, special ceremonies, parties and festivals have been held around the plaza's square. If you would like to reserve the entire DeLeon Plaza area, you will need to coordinate your event with the Parks and Recreation Department. To sign up, you must fill out an online registration form available at

Facilities, pavilions and areas at 10 of the 15 parks throughout the city are available to rent as special event venues. Facilities are available on a first-come, first-served basis. For a complete list of venues in the parks, the Parks and Recreation staff will be happy to help you.

Will the city offer a kayak clinic this summer?

Yes. If you want to learn how to kayak, you'll soon get a chance. The Victoria Parks and Recreation Department is hosting a kayak clinic on Saturday, Aug. 25. The clinic costs $10 and is open to the public. Children ages 12 and under must be accompanied by a legal guardian or adult. Participants can register in person at the Parks and Recreation Office, 476 McCright Drive, starting on Monday, Aug. 6.

The clinic will be from 9 a.m. to noon at the Gary T. Moses Municipal Swimming Pool, 211 N. Ben Wilson St. A hot dog lunch will be served from noon to 1 p.m., followed by a trip to Coleto Creek Reservoir from 1:30-4 p.m. for open water paddling practice. Participants will be responsible for arranging their own transportation to the Coleto Creek Reservoir. A limited number of kayaks will be available. Participants are encouraged to bring their own kayaks or canoes.

The kayak clinic is sponsored by the Parks and Recreation Department, GBRA, Coastal Bend Paddlers and the Canoe Trail of Goliad.

For more information, please call Parks and Recreation at 361-485-3200.

Doug Cochran is the director of parks and recreation for the Victoria Parks and Recreation Department. Contact him at 361-485-3200 or



Powered By AffectDigitalMedia