Homeowner catches vacant home on fire attempting to smoke out bees

Jennifer Lee Preyss By Jennifer Lee Preyss

June 25, 2012 at 1:25 a.m.

A homeowner attempting to smoke out bees from the interior walls of a vacant home caught the home on fire at about 3 p.m. Monday.

Homeowner Angel Herrera was attempting to smoke bees out of a house he owned in the 1200 block of Farm-to-Market 1686, said David Phillips, assistant chief and assistant fire marshal for Victoria County.

Phillips said he was possibly using lit newspaper to create smoke, and accidentally caught the Styrofoam insulation on fire.

"They were just trying to create smoke to drive the bees out," Phillips said.

The house is located on the same property where Herrera lives, but no one lived in the home at the time of the fire.

Firefighters were able to put out the flames in about 45 minutes. The fire was contained to one bedroom, Phillips said.

No injuries were reported.



Powered By AffectDigitalMedia