Air conditioning unit at Victoria business catches fire

May 18, 2012 at 12:18 a.m.
Updated May 19, 2012 at 12:19 a.m.

Embers in an air conditioning duct caused a fire in a business on North Navarro Street at 2:14 p.m. Friday.

As Shonda Johnson, 36, of Victoria, drove south in the 3100 block of North Navarro Street, she saw smoke coming from the Cash Loans building.

Johnson stopped at Cash Loans and went to warn the people inside the building.

Johnson recalled seeing a man fixing the air conditioning on the roof of the building. Once inside, she saw blue sparks coming from one of the vents.

Everyone went outside and Johnson called 911.

When police officers and firefighters arrived, the building was filled with smoke, said Battalion Chief Roger Hempel.

Firefighters located burning embers in an air conditioning duct as the source of the fire, Hempel said.



Powered By AffectDigitalMedia