Citizens Medical Center to host staph infection education program

Nov. 12, 2012 at 5:12 a.m.

Emergency Room Practitioner Kyle Kincaid will give a talk on staph infections during Wednesday's HealthWISE Good Living series.

The talk is called "Education on Staph Infections."

Kincaid said this message is important because something that looks like a spider bite may in fact be a boil caused by the Staphylococcus, or staph bacteria, and could lead to serious health issues, even death.

Staph bacteria most often cause pus-filled boils or skin irritations that appear in hair follicles or oil glands especially in the groin, armpits, or buttocks areas.

Most of the time, staph doesn't cause problems beyond the skin irritation. In fact, more than 25 percent of the population carries the Staphylococcus, or staph, bacteria in their nose, mouth and genital areas and don't even know it.

However, the amount of serious medical conditions brought on by the staph bacteria is increasing, and with it, the need for public education.

The program will begin at 6 p.m. in Citizens Medical Center's central classroom, 2701 Hospital Drive.

Kincaid will discuss staph and what you need to know in order to protect yourself from developing and spreading dangerous staph infections. He will also discuss the risk factors, symptoms and treatments associated with staph infections.

The program is open to the public and free of charge. Call 361-572-5064 to reserve your seat.



Powered By AffectDigitalMedia