City Corner column: City of Victoria to change garbage pickup for Thanksgiving

By Jennifer Sourdellia
Nov. 18, 2012 at 5:18 a.m.

Will garbage and recycling be picked up Thanksgiving Day?

No. If your trash is normally picked up Thursdays, this will not be the case on Thanksgiving Day.

All Thursday garbage routes will be moved up one day earlier to Wednesday.

Thursday recycling routes will also change due to the Thanksgiving holiday. If your recycling is scheduled to be collected Thanksgiving Day, please note the collection will be moved to Saturday.

All routes, including garbage, recycling and yard waste, will resume as normal the week after Thanksgiving.

If you have any questions or concerns, please contact the city's Solid Waste Department at 361-485-3220.

In addition to the modified garbage and recycling schedule during the Thanksgiving holiday, please be aware that nonemergency City of Victoria offices will be closed Thursday and Friday.

Offices will re-open and resume regular business hours Nov. 26.

Is there a city ordinance that pertains to dogs barking all night long? New neighbors have moved in next door to my residence, and there was one evening when the dogs barked from 1 to 5 a.m. Can I file a complaint if this happens again, and is there anything that can be done about this problem?

Yes, Section 4-40(d) of the city ordinance pertains to irresponsible pet owners and barking dogs. The code states "It shall be unlawful for an owner of an animal to fail to exercise control over such animal to prevent it from barking, whining or howling in such a manner, with such intensity or with such continued duration, so as to annoy, distress or disturb the quiet comfort or repose of persons of normal nervous sensibilities within the vicinity of hearing thereof."

If the dogs are barking regularly and it becomes a constant nuisance that disturbs you and other neighbors in the vicinity, there are a few things that can be done. First, you can contact the police department and file a complaint by calling 361-573-3221. This is the nonemergency number. A patrol officer will be dispatched to the location. The officer will check to see if there has been a history of past complaints about the barking dogs. If the pet owner has been warned in the past about their barking dogs and appears to be a continuing problem, the officer will make the decision whether or not to issue a citation.

You can also call Animal Control at 361-578-3564. An animal control officer will be dispatched to the location and will talk with the pet owner about their animal's behavior - this often remedies the situation. Animal Control usually recommends the pet owner consult their veterinarian about tips on what do about their barking dogs.

According to the city ordinance, after the Animal Control Division receives sworn statements by witnesses of at least two incidents, the director may forward a case to the municipal court for a hearing to determine if any person at the location should be declared an "irresponsible pet owner."

An irresponsible pet owner is prohibited by the statute from owning, possessing, maintaining or feeding any pets or residing at a location where pets are present. These restrictions are subject to certain limited exceptions and are effective for five years from the date of declaration. This declaration is not intended as a punishment in itself but rather is a determination by the court that a person needs more stringent regulation of their pet-owning practices.

Do you have a question about the City of Victoria? Please submit your questions and comments about any city department to Jennifer Sourdellia in the Communications/Public Information Office by emailing or mail to P.O. Box 1758, Victoria, TX 77902.



Powered By AffectDigitalMedia