Traffic Tip: Lone Tree trail pedestrians have right of way

By David Brogger
Nov. 18, 2012 at 5:18 a.m.

This week's traffic tip is in regards to the Texas Transportation Code- Sec. 552.003 Pedestrian Right Of Way at Crosswalk:

(a) The operator of a vehicle shall yield the right of way to a pedestrian crossing a roadway in a crosswalk if:

(1) no traffic control signal is in place or in operation; and

(2) the pedestrian is:

(A) on the half of the roadway in which the vehicle is traveling; or

(B) approaching so closely from the opposite half of the roadway as to be in danger.

(b) Notwithstanding Subsection (a), a pedestrian may not suddenly leave a curb or other place of safety and proceed into a crosswalk in the path of a vehicle so close that it is impossible for the vehicle operator to yield.

(c) The operator of a vehicle approaching from the rear of a vehicle that is stopped at a crosswalk to permit a pedestrian to cross a roadway may not pass the stopped vehicle.

Why this specific code and how does it relate to driving in Victoria?There have been complaints about the Lone Tree Creek Hike and Bike Trail street crossings since the trail opened several years ago.

The city of Victoria has tried different signs, lighting and even rumble strips on the road in an attempt to make it safe to cross the streets that intersect the trail. Currently, there are blinking yellow lights that are activated by pedestrians preparing to cross the streets. The crossings I am speaking of are on Airline Road, Miori Lane and John Stockbauer Drive.

The common complaint is that even after activating the yellow blinking lights and actually entering the crosswalks drivers are ignoring the pedestrians. Several pedestrians have stated that they have nearly been struck by vehicles while attempting to cross at the crosswalks.

The Victoria Police Department will be actively monitoring the crosswalks on the Lone Tree Creek Hike and Bike Trail and enforcing the above law.

The Victoria Police Department Traffic Safety Unit invites citizens to inform us of any traffic issues that you observe. The easiest way to do this is go to our website,, then go to the VPD Customer Service Request tab in the center of the page and follow the directions.

If you have a traffic law question, contact Senior Police Officer David Brogger, Victoria Police Department Traffic Safety Unit, 361-485-3700.



Powered By AffectDigitalMedia