This week's prep football playoff previews
Nov. 22, 2012 at 5:22 a.m.
Class 4A, Division II Area
Calhoun Sandcrabs vs. Edcouch-Elsa Yellowjackets
7:30 p.m., Heroes Stadium, San Antonio
• Notes: Calhoun (10-0) and Edcouch-Elsa (7-4) play in the area round for the fourth time in five years. Edcouch-Elsa won in 2006 and Calhoun won in 2008, 2010 and 2011. Calhoun defeated Floresville 48-21 in bi-district. Edcouch-Elsa beat Corpus Christi Miller 35-3. Calhoun is attempting to advance to the area round for the fifth consecutive season. Edcouch-Elsa was forced to forfeit two non-district wins and head coach Joe Solis was suspended for violations of practice regulations. Joe Garcia is the acting coach for Edcouch-Elsa. Calhoun's Hunter Boerm has rushed for 1,618 yards and 22 touchdowns. Winner plays Cedar Park Vista Ridge-San Antonio Brennan winner in regional.
• Radio: KITE, 93.3 FM.
Class 3A, Division I Regional
El Campo Ricebirds vs. Somerset Bulldogs
7:30 p.m., Memorial Stadium, Bastrop
• Notes: El Campo (11-0) takes on Somerset (9-2) in its first second-round appearance since 2009. El Campo captured a 35-21 bi-district win over La Grange. Somerset beat Boerne 49-6. Somerset is averaging 452.5 yards per game. El Campo is yielding an average of 210.6 yards per game. El Campo is averaging 334.7 rushing yards per game. El Campo's Jack Davis has rushed for 1,093 yards and 13 touchdowns, Montray Johnson has rushed for 1,057 yards and 13 touchdowns, and Bryce Brandl has rushed for 904 yards and 15 touchdowns. Somerset's Koy Detmer Jr., the son of former NFL quarterback Koy Detmer, has passed for 1,840 yards and 29 touchdowns, Donaldo Perez has rushed for 1,341 yards and 13 touchdowns, and Justin Guerra and Rocky Reyna have combined for 45 receptions for 1,072 yards and 21 touchdowns. Winner plays Ingleside-Kingsville winner in quarterfinal.
• Radio: KULP, 1390 AM.
Class 2A, Division I Area
Hallettsville Brahmas vs. Luling Eagles
7 p.m., Eschenburg Field, Floresville
• Notes: Hallettsville (10-0) and Luling (7-4) play for the first time since 2005 when they were Class 3A district opponents. Hallettsville won that game 28-14. Hallettsville is coming off a first-round bye. Luling defeated Odem 39-7 in bi-district. Hallettsville is making its second straight area playoff appearance and seeking its second consecutive berth in the regional round. Hallettsville's Teidrick Smith has rushed for 1,146 yards and 17 touchdowns, Carson Schindler has passed for 1,538 yards and 17 touchdowns, and Dalton Herrington and Trenton McGee have combined for 69 receptions for 1,092 yards and 12 touchdowns. Winner plays Hempstead-San Diego winner in regional.
Class 2A, Division II Area
Refugio Bobcats vs. Rogers Eagles
3 p.m., Memorial Stadium, Columbus
• Notes: Refugio (10-0) and Rogers (9-2) play for the first time since the 2004 Class 2A Division II regional playoffs. Rogers won that game 41-6. Refugio had a first-round bye and is seeking its 26th straight win. Rogers captured a 35-22 bi-district win over Hitchcock. Rogers is averaging over 447 yards of rushing per game. Rogers' Carson Skala and Trevor Coats have combined to rush for over 2,700 yards and scored more than 30 touchdowns. Refugio's Travis Quintanilla has passed for 3,058 yards and 48 touchdowns, Marcus Thompson has 48 receptions for 1,232 yards and 20 touchdowns, and Louie Whetsel has rushed for 671 yards and eight touchdowns and has 36 catches for 770 yards and 10 touchdowns. Winner plays Lexington-Poth winner in regional.
East Bernard Brahmas vs. Banquete Bulldogs
7:30 p.m., Matador Stadium, Seguin
• Notes: East Bernard (10-0) makes it third straight playoff appearance when it plays Banquete (10-1). East Bernard had a first-round bye. Banquete defeated Dilley 51-18 in bi-district. Banquete's lone loss was a 31-0 setback to Refugio. East Bernard is averaging 390.5 yards per game and yielding an average of 152.5 yards per game. East Bernard's Ty Slanina has rushed for 769 yards and 15 touchdowns and has passed for 389 yards and six touchdowns. Grant Aschenbeck, Victor Pettit and Slanina have combined for 10 interceptions for 216 return yards and two touchdowns. Banquete's Ben Benavides has passed for 1,426 yards and 19 touchdowns and rushed for 769 yards and 11 touchdowns, and Jacob Gonzalez has rushed for 1,237 yards and 18 touchdowns. Winner plays Karnes City-Blanco winner in regional.
• Internet: www.kulpradio.com
Karnes City Badgers vs. Blanco Panthers
7:30 p.m., Texan Stadium, Wimberley
• Notes: Karnes City (9-1) ends a one-year playoff drought when it plays Blanco (7-4). Karnes City had a first-round bye. Blanco defeated Danbury 47-21 in bi-district. Karnes City is limiting opponents to 6.3 points per game and 82.8 yards per game. Blanco is averaging 29.8 points per game. Karnes City's Philip Vaughan and K.D. Glenn have combined for nine interceptions for 237 return yards and one touchdown. Blanco's Tim Goodman has rushed for 1,126 yards and seven touchdowns. Winner plays East Bernard-Banquete in regional.
Class 1A, Division I Area
Shiner Comanches vs. Ozona Lions
7 p.m., Mustang Stadium, Marble Falls
• Notes: Shiner (9-1) makes its 14th consecutive playoff appearance when it takes on Ozona (9-2). Shiner had a first-round bye. Ozona defeated Holland 41-21 in bi-district for its playoff win since 2006. Ozona's Jayton Rodriguez passed for 116 yards and three touchdowns and rushed for another touchdown in the game. Shiner's Trevion Flowers has rushed for 959 yards and 13 touchdowns, Evel Jones has rushed for 931 yards and 11 touchdowns, and Jacob Stafford has rushed for 537 yards and 12 touchdowns. Winner plays Weimar-Ganado winner in regional.
• Radio: KYKM, 92.5 FM. Internet: www.texasthunderradio.com
Ganado Indians vs. Weimar Wildcats
7 p.m., Traylor Stadium, Rosenberg
• Notes: Ganado (8-3) and Weimar (6-4) play for the first time since 2007 when they were Class 2A district opponents. Ganado won that game. Weimar leads the overall series 11-9-1. Weimar had a first-round bye. Ganado beat Ben Bolt 55-35 in bi-district. Weimar's JaKyle Harris has rushed for 1,300 yards and 13 touchdowns, and Juwan Almeida has passed for 781 yards and six touchdowns and rushed for 322 yards and five touchdowns. Ganado's Clay Vesely has rushed for 1,234 yards and 14 touchdowns, and Billy Jones has rushed for 690 yards and seven touchdowns. Winner plays Shiner-Ozona winner in regional.
• Radio: KNRG, 92.3 FM. Internet: www.kulpradio.com
Class 1A, Division II Area
Woodsboro Eagles vs. Bruni Badgers
1 p.m., Javelina Stadium, Kingsville
• Notes: Woodsboro (9-2) plays Bruni (9-1) coming off its first playoff win since 1988. Woodsboro defeated Bartlett 50-20 in bi-district. Bruni had a first-round bye. Woodsboro and Bruni were district opponents the last two seasons and split the two games with Woodsboro winning in 2010. Bruni also defeated Woodsboro 32-10 in the 2009 Class 1A, Division II bi-district playoffs. Bruni's Oliver Chapa has rushed for 1,062 yards and 18 touchdowns. Woodsboro's DeBray Bonner has rushed for 1,413 yards and 18 touchdowns, and Tyler Quesada has rushed for 993 yards and 17 touchdowns and passed for 982 yards and seven touchdowns. Winner plays Falls City-Sabinal winner in regional.
Runge Yellowjackets vs. D'Hanis Cowboys
7:30 p.m., Bulldog Stadium, Somerset
• Notes: Runge (9-2) plays D'Hanis (10-0) coming off its first playoff win since 1996. Runge captured a 22-0 bi-district win over Granger for its fourth shutout of the season. D'Hanis had a first-round bye. Runge was selected as the Class 1A Army Strong Team of the Week. D'Hanis' Chance Barlow has passed for 1,880 yards and 25 touchdowns and rushed for 907 yards and 14 touchdowns, and Clint Rothe has rushed for 496 yards and eight touchdowns and has 41 receptions for 750 yards and 14 touchdowns. Runge's Dylan Torres has rushed for 1,121 yards and nine touchdowns. Runge's Jeric Esparza, Severo Salas, Ryan Bird and Rob Molina have combined for 12 interceptions. Winner plays Burton-Rocksprings winner in regional.
TAPPS Division III Regional
Hallettsville Sacred Heart Indians vs. Marble Falls Faith Academy Flames
7 p.m., House-Park, Austin
• Notes: Sacred Heart (8-3) goes after its second consecutive semifinal appearance when it plays Marble Falls Faith (11-0). Sacred Heart defeated Fort Worth Calvary Christian 41-7 in bi-district for its eighth-straight win. Marble Falls Faith beat Houston Cypress Christian 46-21. Marble Falls Faith moved from six-man to 11-man football this season. The Marble Falls Faith athletic director is former Wharton and Yoakum coach Jessie Crow and the head coach is former Wharton coach Russell Roberts. Marble Falls Faith's single-wing offense is led by Jason Byrd, who has rushed for 1,093 yards and 17 touchdowns, and Brian Freeman, who has rushed for 1,058 yards and 14 touchdowns. Sacred Heart's Jonathan Vanek has rushed for 1,496 yards and 20 touchdowns, and Leightin Pilat has passed for 901 yards and nine touchdowns and rushed for 623 yards and six touchdowns. Winner plays Shiner St. Paul-League City Bay Area Christian winner in semifinal.
• Radio: KTXM, 99.9 FM. Internet: www.texasthunderradio.com.
Shiner St. Paul Cardinals vs. League City Bay Area Christian Broncos
7 p.m., Waco Robinson
• Notes: St. Paul (7-3) goes for its third straight semifinal appearance when it plays Bay Area Christian (10-1). St. Paul captured a 44-6 bi-district win over Temple Central Texas Christian. Bay Area Christian beat McKinney Christian 52-14. Bay Area Christian's Nathan Freberg has accounted for over 1,500 yards passing and rushing. St. Paul's Adam Hollenbach has rushed for 1,448 yards and 28 touchdowns, and Martin Kennedy has 830 yards rushing and 10 touchdowns, 166 yards receiving and two touchdowns, two punt returns for touchdowns and one kickoff return for a touchdown. Winner plays Hallettsville Sacred Heart-Marble Falls Faith Academy winner in semifinal.
Class 3A, Division II Area
Wharton Tigers vs. Geronimo Navarro Panthers
6 p.m., Matador Stadium, Seguin
• Notes: Wharton (8-3) makes its second consecutive area playoff appearance when it plays Navarro (9-2). Wharton is coming off a 48-34 bi-district win over Yoakum. Navarro defeated Pleasanton 76-49. Navarro is coached by former Kenedy coach Les Goad. Navarro has scored more than 40 points in six games this season. Navarro's Zane Conlin has rushed for 1,374 yards and 22 touchdowns, L.J. Anderson has rushed for 1,248 yards and 14 touchdowns, and Evan DeLeon has rushed for 810 yards and 13 touchdowns. Wharton quarterback Bartee Grissom returned from an ankle injury and passed for 267 yards against Yoakum. Grissom has passed for 1,573 yards and 15 touchdowns, Alfred Pinkney has rushed for 1,147 yards and 13 touchdowns, and Leeshad O'Neal and Dontay Bell combined for 65 receptions for 1,136 yards and 11 touchdowns. Winner plays Sinton-Port Isabel winner in regional.
• Radio: KKHA, 92.5 FM & KIOX, 96.1 FM