Cuero home tour mixture of old and new

Sonny Long

Nov. 23, 2012 at 5:23 a.m.

The Stadler-Kosbiel house, 407 Main St., was built about 1891.

The Stadler-Kosbiel house, 407 Main St., was built about 1891.

The Cuero Christmas Collage of Homes on Dec. 1 features something old and something new.

The home tour, sponsored by Xi Nu Phi Service Sorority, includes two modern houses and two historic houses, all decked out in Christmas finery.

The tour also includes the Cuero Heritage Museum, 124 E. Church St., which is housed in the former federal building that served as the post office from 1917 to 1962. It has housed the museum and Cuero Chamber of Commerce since 1996.

"We try to include a mixture of older homes and newer ones," said Diana Thibodeaux, sorority spokeswoman. "They not only showcase Cuero's history but also the beauty of the homes in this area."

The tour will run from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.

The four homes featured include the Frobese House, 305 Newman St.; the McMahan House, 1684 Zengerle Road; the Baros House, 304 Glen Oaks Lane; and the Stadler-Kosbiel House, 407 E. Main St.

The Baros house, built in 2008, and the McMahan house, completed in May 2012, are the modern marvels, while the other two are historically significant.

The Stadler-Kosbiel house is estimated to have been built around 1891 for C.L. Stadler, who operated the Indianola-based H. J. Huck and Co. lumberyard and was president of the DeWitt County Building & Loan Association.

It was also used as a boarding house for railroad workers at one point in its history.

The Frobese house was originally built in Indianola in 1860. It was dismantled, numbered for re-assembly and moved to Cuero by oxcart after a devastating hurricane hit Matagorda Bay in 1875.

Tickets are $10 and available at any of the tour stops. Sorority members will also have a cake sale at the museum featuring "Happy Trails" chocolate cakes and "Christmas Tree" cakes.

Proceeds assist local charities.



Powered By AffectDigitalMedia