Traffic Tip: Stop signs and yield signs

By David Brogger
Oct. 7, 2012 at 5:07 a.m.

This week's traffic tip is in regards to the Texas Transportation Code 544.010.

Sec. 544.010. Stop signs and yield signs. (a) Unless directed to proceed by a police officer or traffic-control signal, the operator of a vehicle or streetcar approaching an intersection with a stop sign shall stop as provided by Subsection (c).

(b) If safety requires, the operator of a vehicle approaching a yield sign shall stop as provided by Subsection (c).

(c) An operator required to stop by this section shall stop before entering the crosswalk on the near side of the intersection. In the absence of a crosswalk, the operator shall stop at a clearly marked stop line. In the absence of a stop line, the operator shall stop at the place nearest the intersecting roadway where the operator has a view of approaching traffic on the intersecting roadway.

Acts 1995, 74th Leg., ch. 165, Sec. 1, eff. Sept. 1, 1995.

Why this specific code and how does it relate to driving in Victoria?

I received a request to remind folks about this situation by a concerned citizen. Many times, drivers are uncertain of exactly what to do at a four-way stop. I was taught in driver's education quite some time ago that the first person at the stop sign should also be the first person to proceed through the stop sign if it is safe to enter the intersection. In the event that there was a "tie" at the four-way stop sign, the proper order is to allow the vehicle on your right to proceed first. This is not written in the Texas Transportation Code, but this is commonly taught in defensive driving courses. The most important things to remember are to use common sense and patience; only proceed when you know it is safe to do so.

The Victoria Police Department Traffic Safety Unit invites residents to inform us of any traffic issues that you observe. The easiest way to do this is go to our website,, then go to the VPD Customer Service Request tab in the center of the page and follow the directions.

If you have a traffic law question, contact Senior Police Officer David Brogger, Victoria Police Department Traffic Safety Unit, 361-485-3700.



Powered By AffectDigitalMedia