Shed catches Cuero mobile home on fire

Jennifer Lee Preyss By Jennifer Lee Preyss

Oct. 21, 2012 at 5:21 a.m.
Updated Oct. 22, 2012 at 5:22 a.m.

A small shed caught fire about 4 p.m. Saturday, which then spread to a mobile home about eight feet away.

The home, located on 400 E. Street in Cuero, was destroyed in the fire, Cuero Fire Chief Butch Tolbert said Sunday.

Tolbert said the start of the blaze was under investigation, but fire officials know the heavy winds blew the flames to the roof of the double-wide trailer.

"On a double-wide, you lose the roof pretty easy in a fire," Tolbert said. "The family had just moved in the home."

Tolbert said no one was home at the the time of the fire, but a small dog was at home and survived the blaze.

Linda May, emergency services director of the American Red Cross Crossroads Chapter, said the agency was assisting the family of six with temporary accommodations.

Tolbert said the fire was extinguished about 7 p.m. Saturday.



Powered By AffectDigitalMedia