College Q&A: VC/UHV Library offers service to area residents

Aug. 3, 2013 at 3:03 a.m.

Jeremy Shapiro

Jeremy Shapiro

There is a book about Irish music I would like to borrow from the Victoria College/University of Houston-Victoria Library, but I'm not a student or employee of either school. Am I allowed to check out library materials?

"The Companion to Irish Traditional Music" is just one of thousands of books that can be borrowed from the Victoria College/University of Houston-Victoria Library by area residents regardless of whether they have a connection to VC or UHV.

The library extends its collection, including most movies and audio CDs, to residents living in the Victoria area. Many of the library's services, such as access to computers and conference rooms, can be used by the general public when available.

The library, built in 1973, is a four-story building at 2602 N. Ben Jordan St. Hours, which vary depending on the academic calendar, can be found on the library's website at

To obtain a library card, adult area residents can go to the circulation desk and present a valid Texas driver's license or Texas-issued ID card with a current address.

High school students also are eligible to receive a library card and can do so with a driver's license or current high school photo ID. Cards can't be issued to schoolchildren under the ninth grade.

Items from the main collection can be borrowed for two weeks, while multimedia items are due back in one week. Items can be renewed once.

Although UHV and VC students, faculty and staff have first priority for using the library's computers, area residents can use open computers for academic use and research. Area residents must have a library card and follow computer usage rules. There is a one-hour time limit. Wireless Internet access is not available to area residents.

For a small fee, area residents can copy, print and fax items at the library.

Residents can inquire about reserving conference or group study rooms by calling the library's media center desk at 361-570-4199.

Nonprofit groups and governmental agencies in need of a room seating up to 75 people can make use of the library's lecture hall when it's not being used for UHV or VC academic purposes. To ask about availability, call the circulation desk at 361-570-4177.

For a complete list of available services, visit

Do you have a question about the University of Houston-Victoria? Contact Jeremy Shapiro, UHV communications specialist, at 361-570-4296 or



Powered By AffectDigitalMedia