Goliad home destroyed in fire (w/video)
Dec. 9, 2013 at 6:09 a.m.
GOLIAD - Family members of Imelda Schoenherr sifted through the remains of her one-story Goliad County home Monday afternoon.
The home is where Schoenherr raised her seven children.
"This is usually where we come for Thanksgiving," said her daughter Debbie Haney, of Goliad. "It has a lot of memories."
Haney was bundled up as a cold mist descended upon the about 5-acre property in the 4000 block of U.S. Highway 59 East. She was thankful that some of the family photos are kept at a different location.
"We're just glad she (my mother) is OK. That's all that really matters," Haney said.
It was a different scene hours earlier.
Thirty firefighters and 10 pieces of equipment responded at 1:03 p.m. from the Goliad, Ander-Weser, Fannin, Schroeder and Weesatche volunteer fire departments.
It took anywhere from 45 minutes to an hour to extinguish the blaze, which started in one of the bedrooms, said Alonzo Morales Jr., Goliad Volunteer Fire Department chief.
"She (Schoenherr) was in the process of changing out some propane heaters to stay warm, and in the process, she didn't hook it up properly," Morales said. "She went to light it, and the gas had accumulated in the room, and the vapors lit up."
Haney, 50, thinks it happened differently, though.
"The heater had an air pocket or a build up, and once let loose, it caused the flames," she said.
Schoenherr will stay with Haney or another daughter. If the home can be rebuilt, the family will likely want to use the same space, and insurance may help. They are not seeking Red Cross' help, Haney said.
"We appreciate all the firemen who came out," she said.