Fire destroys Goliad home (w/ video)
Dec. 9, 2013 at 6:09 a.m.
Goliad house fire
Firefighters have responded to a report of a house fire in the 4000 block o=
f U.S. Highway 59 East.
No one was hurt in a fire that gutted a home in the 4000 block of U.S. Highway 59 East in Goliad County.
The fire started at 1:03 p.m. Thirty firefighters and 10 pieces of equipment from Goliad, Ander-Weser, Fannin, Schroeder and Weesatche volunteer fire departments responded. It took anywhere from 45 minutes to an hour to extinguish, said Alonzo Morales Jr., the Goliad Volunteer Fire Department chief.
"She (the homeowner) was in the process of changing out some propane heaters to stay warm and in the process she didn't hook it up properly," Morales said. "She went to light it and the gas had accumulated in the room and the vapors lit up."
The home belongs to Imelda Schoenherr.
Pick up a copy of Tuesday's Victoria Advocate for more on this story.