Traffic Tip: Driving while intoxicated

By David Brogger
Dec. 22, 2013 at 6:22 a.m.

This week's traffic tip is in regards to the Texas Penal Code 49.04. Sec. 49.04. Driving while intoxicated. (a) A person commits an offense if the person is intoxicated while operating a motor vehicle in a public place.

(2) Intoxicated means:

(A) not having the normal use of mental or physical faculties by reason of the introduction of alcohol, a controlled substance, a drug, a dangerous drug, a combination of two or more of those substances or any other substance into the body; or

(B) having an alcohol concentration of 0.08 or more.

Why this specific code and how does it relate to driving in Victoria?

Let the Christmas and holiday parties begin. It's the time of year when many people celebrate and, by doing so, consume some adult beverages at holiday parties. I wanted to remind everyone: Please, don't drink and drive. It doesn't take much to make a person legally intoxicated when operating a motor vehicle. Remember, if you drink alcohol or even think you might drink any alcohol, get yourself a designated driver or call a cab.

The Victoria Police Department Traffic Safety Unit invites citizens to inform us of any traffic issues that you observe. The easiest way to do this is go to our website,, then go to the VPD Customer Service Request tab in the center of the page and follow the directions.

For more information, contact the Victoria Police Traffic Unit 361-485-3700.

If you have a traffic law question, contact Senior Police Officer David Brogger, Victoria Po lice Department Traffic Safety Unit, 361-485-3700.



Powered By AffectDigitalMedia