Fire reported at Port O'Connor Elementary School; no injuries
By Caty Hirst - CHIRST@VICAD.COM
Jan. 29, 2013 at 10:04 p.m.
Updated Jan. 29, 2013 at 7:30 p.m.
Firefighters responded to flames in the auditorium of Port O'Connor Elementary School on Tuesday at 5:40 p.m.
No one was injured in the fire, said Cale Hummel, Chief of the Port O'Connor Volunteer Fire Department.
The fire started in the auditorium, possibly because of an electrical malfunction, Hummel said. His crews had the flames under control by 6 p.m.
Teachers in the building attempted to douse the blaze with extinguishers and called 9-1-1.
No students were in the school, and classes will be in session Wednesday. The auditorium will be closed off.