City Corner column: Affordable housing available to qualified buyers

By Jennifer Sourdellia
July 28, 2013 at 2:28 a.m.

Are any new homes being built in Victoria that sell for less than $100,000?

Yes. The Swan Crossing development, a quiet cul-de-sac subdivision located at Delmar and Hanselman Road in south central Victoria, was developed about five years ago as an affordable housing community.

The subdivision was designed with deed restrictions to protect property values and is ideal for first-time homebuyers or those looking to downsize. Swan Crossing offers first-time homebuyers with median incomes the opportunity for home ownership.

Currently, there are 39 lots in the subdivision available. Homes built in the neighborhood feature three bedrooms, two bathrooms and an oversized one-car garage. They range in size from 1,100-1,300 square feet.

There are four different floor plans to choose from, and qualified applicants will have the opportunity to work with a builder to customize home selections, including paint color, tile, carpet and other amenities.

The cost of the home varies according to the applicant's income and can range from $85,000 to $95,000. Homes are offered to prequalified income eligible homebuyers with a five-year deferred forgivable loan for the cost of a $15,000 lot.

Applicants must be employed or reside in Victoria County, qualify for a home mortgage with a financial lending institution and occupy the property as a principal resident and claim it as their homestead for the term of the program assistance (at least five years). At the end of the five-year period, all the homeowner pays for is the home.

Those who exceed the income guidelines can still purchase a home, with an additional $15,000 to purchase the lot.

For a more detailed look at the income guidelines for Swan Crossing, visit or call the Planning Department at 485-3360.

Is there a place in Victoria where I can recycle cooking oil, engine oil and grease?

Great question. Yes, there are places to recycle cooking oil, engine oil and grease. The engine oil can be recycled through the Household Hazardous Waste program.

If you are a city resident and pay a city water bill, this service is part of your monthly bill. To participate, you must contact the call center (1-800-449-7587) to set up a collection appointment. The Call Center operators will guide you through the steps toward a safe and successful collection.

You will be asked several questions, including your address and the type and amount of materials available for collection. You will be provided a convenient collection date and information about where to place the HHW kit for collection.

A kit will be sent to your home in plenty of time for you to gather and pack your materials. You can also visit, click on the "Environmental Services" link and then the "Household Hazardous Waste" link to fill out an online request form.

The cooking oil and grease can be dropped off at one of the Victoria County Precinct recycling centers.

Victoria County Precinct 3, located at 301 Quail Creek Drive, accepts recycling Monday through Thursday from 7 a.m. to 5 p.m. There is no charge for the recycling drop-off. Used cooking oil and grease is accepted for recycling (behind fuel tanks in back of shop). If assistance is needed on locating the drop-off container, call 361-212-8951.

Victoria County Precinct 4, 415 Aviation Dr., also accepts recycled cooking oil and grease. Recycling is accepted from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Wednesday and from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday. There is no charge for recycling. If you need assistance at this location, please call 361-579-6160.

Do you have a question about the city of Victoria? Please submit your questions and comments about any city department to Jennifer Sourdellia in the Communications/Public Information Office by emailing or mail to P.O. Box 1758, Victoria, TX 77902.



Powered By AffectDigitalMedia