Equipment fire deemed accident, destroys barn
June 19, 2013 at 1:19 a.m.
Updated June 20, 2013 at 1:20 a.m.
Several propane tanks ruptured during a barn fire in the 100 block of Twin Oaks Road in Refugio.
The fire, which began about 8:15 p.m. Monday, was caused by an air compressor catching on fire, said Chief Deputy Sheldon Wiginton of the Refugio Fire Department.
An oxygen tank and an acetylene bottle also exploded in the fire.
No environmental damage occurred from the explosion because the chemicals burn off in the air, Wiginton said.
No injuries were reported, but some livestock was killed. The 4-H Club youth poultry program chickens died in the fire.
The barn, owned by Jeff Owens, and its contents are considered a total loss.
Wiginton said the fire was deemed an accident.
The Refugio Fire Department, with assistance from the Woodsboro Fire Department, responded to the blaze.