Years ago for Sunday, Jun 30, 2013

June 27, 2013 at 1:27 a.m.


July 4 - C.R. Richey has on display at his office three pumpkins that weigh a total of 171 pounds, their respective weights being 65, 54 and 52 pounds. They grew on a single vine in the residence yard of Dr. D.H. Braman from seed planted by Dr. Braman's son, Daniel.

July 5 - William Whelan, a Sunset engineer was seriously injured in jumping from his engine to avoid escaping steam and was taken to Santa Rosa Infirmary for treatment, and was able to return here last night. Although it will be some time before he can return to his duties as engineer, he is assured of his complete recovery, which will be most gratifying news to his many friends.

One of the new Appleby cotton picking machines will be exhibited as soon as there is any cotton picking ready. It is a single row picker, drawn by two animals. We understand the price is less than a thousand dollars.

July 6 - The business men of Port O'Connor have had a shelter house built at Decros' Point across Matagorda Bay from the port. This is near the best fishing grounds around Port O'Connor, and will greatly add to the comfort of excursion parties. Captain Wright's motor boat, the Monarch, will make regular trips to the Point, which will enable picnic parties to go there in the morning and return at their pleasure.


July 1 - According to a report recently completed by Claude B. Mullins, county school superintendent, the scholastic population of Victoria County is 5,687, compared with 5,672 last year.

July 4 - There is only one case of typhus fever in Victoria, according to Dr. J.V. Hopkins, city health officer. "The laws of the state require any physician attending a case of typhus fever to report it to the local health officer immediately," he said. Dr. Hopkins continued, "The records of the city health office show that only four cases have been reported since January 1938, and there is only one case here now."


July 2 - Patrolman Donald R. Berry was a bit nonplussed Monday evening when he was escorting a man to city jail who was obviously in his cups. It was a matter of geography. "I can't go with you," the man kept telling Berry. "I've got to get out of Houston and back to Victoria."

July 3 - Victoria's economic growth picture was painted in such glowing colors for the Victoria Chamber of Commerce board Tuesday that several individual directors said they hadn't realized business here was so good. It was Chamber manager Ben Ritterskamp who enlivened an otherwise routine director's meeting by reporting that the city's effective buying power had jumped from $56,835,000 in 1961 to $60,049,000 in 1962 along with a population increase from 34,300 in 1961 to 35,200 in 1962.

July 6 - Victoria County's first 1963 bale of cotton, grown by Jesse Parenica on his farm near DaCosta, was ginned yesterday afternoon at one of Herman Pargac's gins in DaCosta. The bale is approximately 10 days early, which Parenica attributed to warm, dry weather. He said that the bale of Lankart 57 cotton was gathered over 12 acres by approximately 40 cotton pickers yesterday morning. The bale, which weighed 567 pounds, was ginned from 1,600 pounds of seed cotton, which produced 1,000 pounds of seed.


June 30 - Dallas may have its famous phantom, the hitchhiking Ghostly Lady of White Rock Lake, but Cuero has its own "phantoms" and strange "happenings," which have occurred since 1985 when Gil and Lecia Becker opened their bed-and-breakfast inn.

Tales of uncanny sounds, late night visitations, mysterious shades (spirits, not curtains), locked doors strangely found open, the house's revitalizing properties and feelings of a presence have been told by guests, housekeepers and part-time employees of the Reiffert-Mugge (pronounced RYE-furt Miggy) Inn.

Recently, Becker wrote of the incidents in his publication, the Drummer, because his guests and friends thought the phenomena should be known and explained.

Before the house was bought in 1985, Becker said it had been empty and boarded up for five years. Before that, most of the house was closed off except for a few rooms that Hilda Reiffert Mugge and her son Fred Mugge Jr. used.

He said many in the community had dubbed it a "mysterious haunted house" during the time it was empty.

The house was originally built at Indianola in 1868 by a German immigrant and businessman, Emil Reiffert. After a hurricane, Reiffert had the house dismantled and moved to Cuero, where it was rebuilt with an added wing in 1886.

Emil and Helene Tips Reiffert had several children, one of whom was Hilda Reiffert, who married Fred Mugge Sr.

Emil Reiffert and his wife both died in 1910. The house passed to Fred Mugge Sr., but he died at a fairly young age, leaving both Hilda and their son, Fred Jr., to reside in the house.

Hilda lived into her 90s. After her passing, Fred Jr. sold the house to the Beckers. A lot of refurbishing was needed.



Powered By AffectDigitalMedia