Former Moulton police chief recovers after being hit by pickup

Sonny Long

March 18, 2013 at 11 p.m.
Updated March 17, 2013 at 10:18 p.m.

Mark Zimmerman knows he's lucky to be alive.

The former Moulton police chief and current Fayette County sheriff's deputy is home from the hospital after being hit by a pickup while walking last week.

Zimmerman, 54, suffered a broken collarbone, broken knee and facial lacerations.

"I'm covered in cuts and bruises. For what I went through, I feel pretty darn good. I am very fortunate. I'm alive," said Zimmerman, who is confined to a wheelchair for the time being.

At 9:40 p.m. March 12, a 1996 Chevrolet pickup driven by Richard Koncaba, of Moulton, struck Zimmerman from behind in the 500 block of South Pecan Street, said Moulton Police Chief Mark Pritchard, who replaced Zimmerman in November.

Zimmerman walks nearly every day, a 21/2-mile route through the streets of Moulton, where he lives.

"I worked all day on the farm, ate supper and started walking about 9:20," he said. "My walk takes about 40 minutes, so that would have given me time to get back for the nightly news.

"I thought I heard a vehicle behind me and turned my head to the right but didn't see any headlights," Zimmerman recalled. "The last thing I remember is seeing a fender and a side mirror of a truck."

Zimmerman was taken by ambulance to Yoakum Community Hospital, then transferred by helicopter to University Hospital in San Antonio.

He returned home Friday.

Koncaba was arrested and charged with intoxication assault with serious bodily injury, said Pritchard.

The charge is a third-degree felony. Koncaba was released from jail Wednesday after posting bail on $40,000 bond.

Zimmerman served as Moulton police chief for three different tenures, spanning about 25 years, until he retired last fall and went to work for the Fayette County Sheriff's Office. He was named Deputy of the Quarter for the first quarter of 2013.

Zimmerman is also a former Lavaca County commissioner.



Powered By AffectDigitalMedia